*.*******

In a relatively short time, they managed to create a harmonic routine. A routine that either kept Kai sane or did the opposite, it was still too early for judgement.

They were just sitting at the kitchen table, having a stare down with the black screen of his phone, waiting for another minute to pass.

So close… Just a little longer… Just…

And despite the ringing being the only thing he could think about for the past hour, it still managed to make him almost jump out of his skin as the phone came to life, its vibrations louder thanks to the table.

The place was so silent…

Kai accepted the call, trying to keep his smile to a normal amount, trying to keep their hands steady.

“Hey!” Either it was seriously quiet or his voice was obnoxiously loud. What was happening to him? It was like riding a bike down the hill and the handles were not cooperating. Not that Kai knew much about riding bikes.

Instead of a greeting, Cole frowned into the camera. And then the frown turned into that charming smile Kai could already read like a children's book. It meant trouble.

“Is that my place?” Cole asked, voice soaked with the damned teasing tone, sweet as a poisonous honey, like the voice of sirens which lured his confidence in like the desperate sailors. “Seems like you miss me.”

“Seems like you need to stop jumping to conclusions,” Kai retorted. Maybe they had no idea how to control the handles but that didn't mean they couldn't still hold onto them for dear life. “I came to check on the lilies, gave them a little water so they won't die, you know?”

“That's actually a good idea, I would've completely forgotten about that. Thank you.”

“Of course. I'm the best, after all.”

“I still think you miss me.”

“You're still stuck on that? God, you do not know how to move on. I'm about to send my third kid off to college.”

“Really? What major?”

“Something seriously smart.”

Unbeknownst to Cole, who more often than not closed his eyes while laughing, Kai could as well turn into the heart eyes emoticon on the spot. Every single time he heard the sound, every single time the corners of Cole's eyes wrinkled and his teeth came into view.

“How's the trip? Are you having fun?”

“Oh! We got to work with wool. Like real fresh wool. They showed us this whole process of all the ways they use it. It's starting to remind me of the old school trips I used to go to but I can't complain.”

“That sounds great!”

“Yeah! The people here are so nice, I don't even feel stupid being just another tourist. But anyway – how are you?”

“Oh, you know, as good as anyone can be here. Everything's the same, except they seem to be building another bus stop near your place. Tell me more about the wool, did you see any sheep?”

The mention of animals should get Cole to talk without worrying about letting Kai get a word. And Kai will be able to just listen and lay down in the empty bed that still carries his scent and for another hour, it will be like Cole never left and Kai never got to experience the strange abstinence which made his world spin all the more violently.