Hogwarts Express

"I HATE YOU!"

These were the words that echoed through the Potters' house almost everyday. 

And these words usually belonged only to two people: the mischievous James Fleamont Potter, or his usually well-behaved elder sister, Jessica Persia Potter.

And on that very particular Monday, these words had come from Jessica's mouth, her eyes raging, her brother hiding somewhere in fear.

"What happened now, Percy?" Euphemia Potter sighed, patting her hands dry on the apron as she turned to face her daughter, who stood enraged with a Barbie doll in her hands.

As much as she loved them, Euphemia couldn't deny the fact that the siblings never got along. They were constantly pulling each other's hair, fighting and biting each other, and well.... Euphemia was bound to get tired of them.

"He cut her hair!" Jessica, who was called Percy by those who knew her well, shouted, holding up the Barbie doll, whose hair had indeed been shortened by a quarter.

"Oh, dear," Euphemia said, feigning a cry. "James, what have you done?"

No answer came from James' room.

Euphemia sighed again, and she kneeled to meet her daughter's eyes. "It's alright, dear," she said calmly. "I'm sure Barbie wouldn't mind being a little short on hair," she smiled.

"But Rosie gave this to me!" Jessica cried.

Rosaline Mary, or Rosie, had been the Muggle girl who had lived next door. The Potters had been very good friends with her family until You-Know-Who had come into a considerable amount of power, and the Potters decided that it was time to move a little farther away from a Muggle settlement.

Euphemia's lips pulled into a thin line. "I'll talk to James about it," she said, disappointed. "Both of you are eleven years old now-"

"I'm twelve," Jessica corrected. "He's eleven."

"All the more reason both of you should be more mature," she said. "What will you do when you to Hogwarts?"

Jessica's fury only grew more at these words. "It's all because of James, Mama," she said. "You should have returned him."

Euphemia tried her best to control herself, but the laughter spilled from her lips. "Returned him?" she smiled.

"From wherever you got him," Jessica nodded sincerely.

"Oh, I would've, honey," Euphemia said, "but they said I'd exceeded the return time limit and that it was over."

"Mummy!" James' voice came, shocked to hear those words.

Fleamont Potter descended the stairs, laughing. "I think that's the best mother-daughter conversation I've heard."

James' face turned red with embarrassment and shock. "Dad, you too?"

Fleamont sat at the table, covering his face with a newspaper to hide his laughs. "Come on, let's get going before we miss the train." 

***

The family of four reached King's Cross at half past ten. Fleamont dumped the two trunks on to a trolley and wheeled it into the station. One had been labelled J.F.P, for James Fleamont Potter, and the other had been labelled J.P for Jessica Persia Potter, his elder sister.

James scratched his head. "Platform nine – platform ten. Our platform should be somewhere in the middle- but where is it?"

"Young boy," Fleamont rolled his eyes with a theatrical flair. "How many times have I told you? The trick is to close your eyes-"