Tyson

Mythologically speaking, if there's anything Jessica hated worse than trios of old ladies, it's bulls. 

Last summer, she and Percy had fought the Minotaur on top of Half-Blood Hill. This time what she saw up there was even worse: two bulls. And not just regular bulls- bronze ones the size of elephants. And even that wasn't bad enough. Naturally they had to breathe fire, too. 

As soon as Euphemia had Apparated to NY to drop her daughter, she had literally peeled out to avoid suspicion among the other friends, heading back to London, where life was safer. Jessica was just left us on the side of the road- and incidentally- a Grey Taxi almost swerved against her, and out came flying the two people Jessica wanted to see most. 

"Percy!"

"Percy!"

"Annabeth!" The taxi fled without even payment.

Annabeth was shaking, with nothing but her backpack and knife, Percy was in a bad state, wearing burned-up tie-dyed gym clothes.

"New fashion?" Jessica asked. 

"New monsters?" Percy asked in return. 

"Who's this?" She pointed at a large boy, probably at least six feet tall and also unbelievably large- he seemed like a harmless baby monster.

"Meet Tyson," Percy pointed. 

***

"Oh, man," said Annabeth, looking at the battle raging on the hill, and Jessica turned too. 

What worried Jessica most weren't the bulls themselves. Or the ten heroes in full battle armor who were getting their bronze-plated booties whooped. What worried her was that the bulls were ranging all over the hill, even around the back side of the pine tree. That shouldn't have been possible. The camp's magic boundaries didn't allow monsters to cross past Thalia's tree. But the metal bulls were doing it anyway. 

One of the heroes shouted, "Border patrol, to me!" A girl's voice-gruff and familiar. Border patrol? Jessica thought. The camp didn't have a border patrol. 

"It's Clarisse," Annabeth said. "Come on, we have to help her." 

Normally, rushing to Clarisse's aid would not have been high on Jessica's 'to do' list. Still, she was in trouble. Her fellow warriors were scattering, running in panic as the bulls charged. The grass was burning in huge swathes around the pine tree. 

One hero screamed and waved his arms as he ran in circles, the horsehair plume on his helmet blazing like a fiery Mohawk. Clarisse's own armor was charred. She was fighting with a broken spear shaft, the other end embedded uselessly in the metal joint of one bull's shoulder. 

Jessica flipped her coin. It shimmered in the air, growing longer and heavier until it fell back to her, now a long bronze spear. 

"Tyson, stay here," Percy turned to the other boy, "I don't want you taking any more chances." 

"No!" Annabeth said. "We need him." 

Percy stared at her. 

"He's mortal. He got lucky with the dodge balls but he can't-" 

"Percy, do you know what those are up there? The Colchis bulls, made by Hephaestus himself. We can't fight them without Medea's Sunscreen SPF 50,000. We'll get burned to a crisp." 

"Medea's sunscreen..." Jessica frowned. 

Annabeth rummaged through her backpack and cursed. "I had a jar of tropical coconut scent sitting on my night-stand at home. Why didn't I bring it?"