Bianca

"We've burdened these children enough," Artemis announced. "Zoe, we will rest here for a few hours. Raise the tents. Treat the wounded. Retrieve our guests' belongings from the school. Treat Jessica's wounds."

"Yes, my lady."

"And, Bianca, come with me. I would like to speak with you."

"What about me?" Nico asked.

Artemis considered the boy. "Perhaps you can show Grover how to play that card game you enjoy. I'm sure Grover would be happy to entertain you for a while... as a favor to me?"

Grover just about tripped over himself getting up. "You bet! Come on, Nico!"

Nico and Grover walked off toward the woods, talking about hit points and armor ratings and a bunch of other geeky stuff. Artemis led a confused-looking Bianca along the cliff. The Hunters began unpacking their knapsacks and making camp. Zoe gave Thalia one more evil look, then left to oversee things.

As soon as she was gone, Thalia stamped her foot in frustration. "The nerve of those Hunters! They think they're so... Argh!"

"I'm with you," Percy said. "I don't trust—"

"Oh, you're with me?" Thalia turned on him furiously. "What were you thinking back there in the gym, Percy? You'd take on Dr. Thorn all by yourself? You knew he was a monster! If we'd stuck together, we could've taken him without the Hunters getting involved. Annabeth might still be here. Did you think of that?"

Percy's jaw clenched. He thought of some harsh things to say, and he might've said them too, but then he looked down and saw something navy blue lying in the snow at his feet. Annabeth's New York Yankees baseball cap. Thalia didn't say another word. She wiped a tear from her cheek, turned, and marched off, leaving him alone with a trampled cap in the snow.

***

The Hunters set up their camping site in a matter of minutes. Seven large tents, all of silver silk, curved in a crescent around one side of a bonfire. One of the girls blew a silver dog whistle, and a dozen white wolves appeared out of the woods. They began circling the camplike guard dogs. The Hunters walked among them and fed them treats, completely unafraid, but Percy decided he would stick close to the tents. Falcons watched them from the trees, their eyes flashing in the firelight, and he got the feeling they were on guard duty, too. Even the weather seemed to bend to the goddess's will. The air was still cold, but the wind died down and the snow stopped falling, so it was almost pleasant sitting by the fire. Almost... except for the pain in his shoulder and the guilt weighing him down. 

Percy couldn't believe Annabeth was gone. And as angry as he was at Thalia, he had a sinking feeling that she was right. It was his fault. He thought about how he and Annabeth had danced together for half a song, and his heart felt even heavier. He watched Thalia pacing in the snow at the edge of camp, walking among the wolves without fear. She stopped and looked back at Westover Hall, which was now completely dark, looming on the hillside beyond the woods. 

She'd only been back as a human for a few months now, and once in a while she would stand so motionless you'd think she was still a tree. The sound of snow crunching made Percy's thoughts stop. He looked up to see Jessica being led by two Hunters. Her right leg was bandaged up to the knee.

"What happened?" Percy stood up so suddenly that his shoulder almost dislocated.

Jessica grinned innocently. "I think I sort of broke my leg and sprained it- not exactly in that order."

"You amathes," Percy cursed at her. He took over from the Hunters and held her up. "No Capture the flag for you tomorrow."

"Shut up," Jessica snapped. "I'll be fine with a bit of ambrosia. And you should sit down. Manticore poison isn't exactly harmless."