A Dance

"You must be the infamous Sally Jackson," Euphemia said, grinning at Ms. Jackson as they stood at the front door to Percy's apartment.

"Oh, please, not infamous," Sally smiled. She was carrying an heavy handbag and Percy was carrying a bag filled with what Jessica knew to be deadly weapons. "Mediocre at best."

"I'm sorry," Euphemia smiled, "but after having those cookies, I'm convinced that you are a professional baker." Sally laughed. Euphemia turned to Jessica. "I'll leave you safe in Ms. Jackson's hands, Percy. Try not to be much of a nuisance, will you?"

"Of course not, mother," Jessica said, grinning. "I'll see you on Christmas."

Euphemia nodded. She turned on her heel and was gone with a loud POP!

Sally Jackson looked at the children. She twirled her keys in her hand. "Shall we?" 

They took the lift down to the basement and got into the blue Prius that now stood there. Ms. Jackson was slightly panicky as they drove through New York to pick up the children's friends Annabeth and Thalia on the way.

It was an eight-hour drive from New York to Bar Harbor, Maine. 

Sleet and snow pounded the highway. Annabeth, Thalia, Percy and Jessica hadn't seen each other in months, but between the blizzard and the thought of what they were about to do, they were too nervous to talk much.

Except for Percy's mom. 

She talked more when she was nervous. By the time they finally got to Westover Hall, it was getting dark, and she'd told all the girls every embarrassing baby story there was to tell about Percy.

***

Thalia wiped the fog off the car window and peered outside. "Oh, yeah. This'll be fun."

Westover Hall looked like an evil knight's castle. It was all black stone, with towers and slit windows and a big set of wooden double doors. It stood on a snowy cliff overlooking this big frosty forest on one side and the gray churning ocean on the other.

"Are you sure you don't want me to wait?" Sally asked.

"No, thanks, Mom," Percy said. "I don't know how long it will take. We'll be okay."

"But how will you get back? I'm worried, Percy."

"It's okay, Ms. Jackson." Annabeth smiled reassuringly. Her blond hair was tucked into a ski cap and her gray eyes were the same color as the ocean. "We'll keep him out of trouble." Sally seemed to relax a little. She used to think that Annabeth was the most levelheaded demigod ever to hit eighth grade. In fact, she believed in Annabeth even more than she did in Jessica or Percy.

"All right, dears," Sally said. "Do you have everything you need?"

"Yes, Ms. Jackson," Thalia said. "Thanks for the ride."

"Extra sweaters? You have my cell phone number?"

"Mom—"

"Your ambrosia and nectar, Percy? And a golden drachma in case you need to contact camp?"

"Mom, seriously! We'll be fine. Come on, guys." She looked a little hurt, and Percy was sorry about that, but he was ready to be out of that car. If Sally told one more story about how cute Percy looked in the bathtub when he was three years old, he was going to burrow into the snow and freeze himself to death.

"Thanks a lot, Ms. Jackson," Jessica smiled before following Percy outside.  

The wind blew straight through her coat like ice daggers. Once the Prius car was out of sight, Thalia said, "Your mom is so cool, Percy."