Magic With the Dead

"I'm a satyr," Grover said. "We don't have souls like humans do. He can torture me until I die, but he won't get me forever. I'll just be reincarnated as a flower or something. It's the best way."

"No." Annabeth drew her bronze knife. "You two go on. Grover, you have to protect Percy. You have to get your searcher's license and start your quest for Pan. Get his mom out of here. I'll cover you. I plan to go down fighting."

"No way," Grover said. "I'm staying behind."

"Think again, goat boy," Jessica said. "I can fight best. I'm a daughter of Zeus. And Annabeth and I'll-"

"Stop it, all of you!" Percy felt like his heart was being ripped in two. He remembered Grover dive-bombing Medusa in the statue garden, and Annabeth saving them from Cerberus; they'd survived Hephaestus's Waterland ride, the St. Louis Arch, the Lotus Casino. He remembered Jessica, who had saved him from the Minotaur on his very first day, his first choice to join him on a quest. He had spent thousands of miles worried that he'd be betrayed by a friend, but these friends would never do that. 

"I know what to do," he said. "Take these."

He handed them each a pearl.

Annabeth said, "But, Percy..."

"You have to get the bolt back, Percy," Jessica said. "You can't give this to me."

Percy turned and faced his mother. "I'm sorry," he turned to Jessica. "I'll be back. I'll find a way."

The smug look on Hades' face faded. He said, "Godling... ?"

"Jessica, find our Uncle's helm," he told her. "We'll return it."

"Do not defy me—"

"But Percy-" Jessica began. Her mind was racing. She couldn't leave Percy there. She thought hard... what would Fleamont Potter do? What would dad do? "Alright, but you're going to have to trust me."

"Percy Jackson, you will not—"

"There's no one else I'd give this quest over to," Percy said. "Go."

She shouted, "Now, guys!"

The three smashed the pearls at their feet. Jessica took Percy's clammy hand in hers. She closed her eyes, "Reducio, reducio, reducio," she whispered.

*** 

For a scary moment, nothing happened.

Hades yelled, "Destroy them!"

Then, Percy's arms began to shrink. His legs seemed to be pulling in upwards. His clothes shrunk too. Annabeth gasped. Percy's eyes widened. His screams were no longer audible, for he was now sitting on top of Jessica's palm, barely the size of a penny. 

He seemed to be shouting curses in shock at Jessica, but she didn't have time to pay him any attention. The army of skeletons rushed forward, swords out, guns clicking to full automatic. The Furies lunged, their whips bursting into flame.  

Just as the skeletons opened fire, the pearl fragments at Jessica's feet exploded with a burst of green light and a gust of fresh sea wind. She and Percy (in her hand) were encased in a milky white sphere, which was starting to float off the ground.

Annabeth and Grover were right behind her. Spears and bullets sparked harmlessly off the pearl bubbles as they floated up. Hades yelled with such rage, the entire fortress shook and she knew it was not going to be a peaceful night in L.A.

"Look up.'" Grover yelled. "We're going to crash!"

Sure enough, they were racing right toward the stalactites.