New Year's Eve

"Mom, that's enough-" Percy shook his head as his mother pushed some more mashed potatoes into his plate. "I'm stuffed like that turkey-"

Sally Jackson laughed. "Well, unless you want to have this for breakfast tomorrow-"

"I'd rather do that, seriously." Everything tasted great, but Percy guessed he wasn't digging in like he usually did. Sally frowned. "Everything alright, Percy?"

"Yeah... fine."

But she could always tell when something was bothering Percy. Sally Jackson sighed. "School... or..."

She didn't need to finish. Percy knew what she meant. 

"I..." Percy sighed. "There might be a chance Percy's in danger." He was being truthful. It wasn't just Jessica who was in danger... it was him as well. Percy. Double meaning.

"Jessica, you mean?" Sally frowned.

"Yeah." Percy didn't elaborate, and she knew not to ask more. 

She pursed her lips. They didn't talk much about the other part of Percy's life. "I wouldn't be too worried, dear," she said. "Jessica... she's strong... she knows to go to camp if there's any danger."

Percy nodded. Except she lives miles away in London, he thought. Very easy to get to camp. Or perhaps the danger was the camp itself....

Sally sat up, trying to change the topic, "So," she smiled. "Who's Annabeth?"

Percy frowned. "Annabeth-" his mind finally seemed to understand what his mother was saying. "Right. Annabeth. She's, um... a friend from camp... you know, the friend who went with me on the quest."

"The daughter of Athena?" Sally asked. 

"Yeah, she's pretty mean," Percy said, eating a spoonful of mash. "But she's very good with ideas. Good quest potential, know what I mean?"

Sally smiled. "No," she said. "And what about Jessica? The girl who called today morning-"

"She's a good friend," Percy nodded. "Very loyal," he smiled at the memory. The fact that she had actually travelled all the way to the DOA studios to save him... it was wonderful. Percy had never felt so important all his life. "She's... she was my first best friend at Camp."

Sally took another bowl of some gravy, but Percy shook his head, "Mom, no!"

"Alright, alright," she laughed. "But this is breakfast."

Percy's stomach was so full that he thought it would burst. "Deal," he replied. "Or we could totally send this stuff over to Jessica," he smiled. "She sent me some blessed rotten candy- I think there was an ear wax flavor." 

Sally frowned. "Ear wax?"

"Yeah, some Bertie Botts' every flavor beans or something," Percy rolled his eyes. "It was all good until I got to that ear wax. And then I had one jelly bean that was pepper flavored. It's just sitting there on my bed in case I need to use some against Raj, that math nerd."

Sally smiled. "It's funny how you and her are good friends," she said.

"Why?"

"If there's one thing I really know about your father, Percy," she patted his head lovingly, "it's that he never gets along with his brothers. Never. And to think that you and Jessica get along so well, it seems impossible, doesn't it?"

"Mom!" Percy said. "I'm not Dad and she's not Zeus! We're much more-" Percy didn't want to say 'sane'.... "-mature."

"Yeah, sure," Sally stood up and walked to the sink.