Summer Solstice

"Ambrosia and nectar?" Jessica asked.

"The food and drink we were giving you to make you better. That stuff would've killed a normal kid. It would've turned your blood to fire and your bones to sand and you'd be dead. Face it. You're a half-blood."

A half-blood.

Jessica blinked. "Are you getting this?" she asked Percy.

"Nope," Percy said.

Then a husky voice yelled, "Well! Newbies!"

Jessica looked over. The big girl from the ugly red cabin was sauntering toward them. She had three other girls behind her, all big and ugly and mean looking like her, all wearing camo jackets.

"Clarisse," Annabeth sighed. "Why don't you go polish your spear or something?"

"Sure, Miss Princess," the big girl said. "So I can run you through with it Friday night."

''Erre es korakas!" Annabeth said, which Jessica somehow understood was Greek for 'Go to the crows!' though she had a feeling it was a worse curse than it sounded. "You don't stand a chance."

"We'll pulverize you," Clarisse said, but her eye twitched. Perhaps she wasn't sure she could follow through on the threat. She turned toward Percy. "Who's this little runt?"

"Percy Jackson, Jessica Potter," Annabeth said, "meet Clarisse, Daughter of Ares."

Percy blinked. "Like... the war god?"

Clarisse sneered. "You got a problem with that?"

"No," he said. "It explains the bad smell."

Clarisse growled. "We got an initiation ceremony for newbies, Prissy."

"Percy."

"Whatever. Come on, I'll show you."

"Leave me out of it," Jessica began.

"Clarisse—" Annabeth tried to say.

"Stay out of it, wise girl."

Annabeth looked pained, but she did stay out of it.

***

Percy handed Annabeth his minotaur horn and got ready to fight, but before he knew it, Clarisse had him by the neck and was dragging him toward a cinder-block building that Jessica knew immediately was the bathroom.

"Are you sure-" Jessica began, but she was interrupted by a two strong hands grasping her neck, dragging her towards the bathroom. It was one of those idiot friends of Clarisse.

Jessica was kicking and punching. This girl had hands like iron. She dragged Jessica into the girls' bathroom. There was a line of toilets on one side and a line of shower stalls down the other. It smelled just like any public bathroom, and Jessica was thinking that if this place belonged to the gods, they should've been able to afford classier joints.

Clarisse's friends were all laughing. "Let's go with him first!" Clarisse yelled. "Like he's 'Big Three' material," Clarisse said as she pushed Percy toward one of the toilets. "Yeah, right. Minotaur probably fell over laughing, he was so stupid looking."

Her friends snickered. Jessica struggled, trying to escape from the girl's grip. "Let... go... of... me!" she said. 

Annabeth stood in the corner, watching through her fingers.

***

Clarisse bent Percy over on his knees, "Look here, newbie," she turned to look at Jessica dead in the eye, and started pushing Percy's head toward the toilet bowl. Percy strained to keep his head up.