Powdered Donuts

Luke shook his head. "The gods have blinded you. Can't you imagine a world without them, Annabeth? What good is that ancient history you study? Three thousand years of baggage! The West is rotten to the core. It has to be destroyed. Join me! We can start the world anew. We could use your intelligence, Annabeth."

"Because you have none of your own!"

His eyes narrowed. "I know you, Annabeth. You deserve better than tagging along on some hopeless quest to save the camp. Half-Blood Hill will be overrun by monsters within the month. The heroes who survive will have no choice but to join us or be hunted to extinction. You really want to be on a losing team... with company like this?" Luke pointed at Tyson.

"Hey!" Percy said.

"Traveling with a Cyclops," Luke chided. "Talk about dishonoring Thalia's memory! I'm surprised at you, Annabeth. You of all people-"

"Stop it!" she shouted. Jessica didn't know what Luke was talking about, but Annabeth buried her head in her hands like she was about to cry.

"Leave her alone," Jessica said firmly. "And leave Tyson out this."

Luke laughed. "Oh, yeah, I heard. Poseidon claimed him." Percy looked surprised. Luke smiled. "Yes, Percy, I know all about that. And about your plan to find the Fleece. What were those coordinates, again... 30, 31, 75, 12? You see, I still have friends at camp who keep me posted."

"Spies, you mean," Percy snarled. 

He shrugged. "How many insults from your father can you stand, Percy? You think he's grateful to you? You think Poseidon cares for you any more than he cares for this monster?"

Tyson clenched his fists and made a rumbling sound down in his throat. Luke just chuckled. "The gods are so using you, Jessica. Do you have any idea what's in store for you two if you reach your sixteenth birthday? Has Chiron even told you the prophecy?"

Jessica wanted to get in Luke's face and tell him off, but as usual, he knew just how to throw her off balance. Sixteenth birthday? Jessica knew Chiron had received a prophecy from the Oracle many years ago. She knew there was something- but, if I reached my sixteenth birthday? The prophecy wasn't so threatening.. or at least, Jessica thought it wasn't. 

"I know what I need to know," Jessica managed. "Like, who my enemies are."

"Then you're a fool." 

Tyson smashed the nearest dining chair to splinters. "Percy is not a fool!"

***

Before she could stop him, Tyson charged Luke. His fists came down toward Luke's head-a double overhead blow that would've knocked a hole in titanium-but the bear twins intercepted. They each caught one of Tyson's arms and stopped him cold. They pushed him back and Tyson stumbled. He fell to the carpet so hard the deck shook. 

"Too bad, Cyclops," Luke said. "Looks like my grizzly friends together are more than a match for your strength. Maybe I should let them-"

"Luke," Percy cut in. "Listen to me. Your father sent us." 

His face turned the color of pepperoni. "Don't-even- mention him."

"He told us to take this boat. I thought it was just for a ride, but he sent us here to find you. He told me he won't give up on you, no matter how angry you are."

"Angry?" Luke roared. "Give up on me? He abandoned me, Percy! I want Olympus destroyed! Every throne crushed to rubble! You tell Hermes it's going to happen, too. Each time a half-blood joins us, the Olympians grow weaker and we grow stronger. He grows stronger." Luke pointed to the gold sarcophagus. The box creeped her out.