The Dark Mark

Fleamont Potter did not look okay. In fact, he looked as not okay as possible, which Jessica thought was impossible. 

She nodded at him. Her lips were trembling, her eyes were watering, but she held herself back. A daughter of Zeus doesn't cry unless it's absolutely necessary. "Jessica," Fleamont's voice shook. He was very white, and his face was streaked with red blotches, like he had been crying for hours. 

"Mr. Potter," Chiron said, wheeling himself next to Jessica. "I would invite you to come inside, but this camp can be accessed only be demigods."

"Is James here?" Jessica asked. 

Fleamont barely nodded. "He's getting donuts at the convenience store," he muttered. 

"M-Mom?" 

"St. Mungo's," he replied. 

"How is she?"

"Alive," he said. Fleamont Potter was almost shaking in his knees. Chiron could tell he was putting up a brave face just for his children. "She had gone to the McKinnon's house to help Sterling get some things from the ruins...."

"A second attack?" Jessica asked. 

He nodded. "They rushed in as quickly as they could," he said. "They say there's a good chance."

Jessica's breathing slowed down. Thank the gods, her mother would most likely be okay. She sniffed back a snob. Fleamont extended his hand to his daughter and squeezed her palm. "It's going to be okay." 

She let go of his palm and hugged him tight. "I want to go home," she spoke into his coat. "To mom."

Fleamont nodded, a single tear shedding from his eye. "I know," he whispered. "Your mother wants to see you too. I'm here to take you home for the summer."

Jessica turned away. "Chiron, can I go?" she asked. 

Chiron knit his eyebrows. "I would suggest that you stay, usually," he said. "But right now, your mother is most important." He sighed. "Go, Percy. And..." he reached into his pocket and brought out a small bead. "Congratulations on surviving this summer." 

Jessica took the bead. That dialogue was the best thing ever- congrats on surviving the summer. An intricate pine tree had been carved into the bead, and more importantly, it's lowest branch was glowing- with the Golden Fleece. Jessica smiled. "Thanks." 

"Try to come back once you're done," Chiron said. "We have lots of training to do."

Jessica nodded. She turned to Fleamont. "I'll go and get my trunk."

***

She rushed down the hill to Cabin One. She tossed in all her clothes, her statue of Hippie Zeus, a few Camp shirts and all of her armor and books. The door opened. 

"Where are you going?"

It was Thalia. 

Jessica turned around. "I need to go home," she said. "Problem in the family." She turned back to packing her trunk. "You can take my cot if you want."

"No, thanks," Thalia said. "It's too close to dad."

Jessica smiled. She pointed to the brazier where the others had once conducted a memorial for her. Connor had cleaned out the candles and had set up a bed roll. "I think you'll find yourself more comfortable there," she said. The alcove was concealed away from the gaze of angry Zeus. 

Thalia sighed. "I could just stay at Hermes Cabin instead." 

Jessica chuckled. "That's not that great either," she said. "You'll get comfortable soon enough." Jessica's eyes fell on a photograph strip and couple of photos, tucked away behind camp clothes that no longer fit her. "Oh, um... Thalia."