Dr. Thorn

"The name's Jason Grace," the boy introduced himself. 

Jessica was not foreign to dancing. She had spent half her life waltzing around the Christmas house with her father as a child. She found it relatively easy to lead Jason through the hall, trying to avoid any sort of eye contact with the di Angelos and Percy, by any chance. She knew he was going to bully her for this for the next three years.

"I'm Jessica Potter," she replied. "Eighth grade."

"You sound slightly different," Jason remarked. "Are you not from around here?"

"Oh I am," Jessica lied. "Completely normal for New Yorkers to have different accents. Are you new?"

Jason's cheeks turned pink. "Actually, yeah," he said. "I'm just here for the year. Otherwise I live in San Francisco."

"I've always wanted to go there!" Jessica said. "From what I've heard, they make the best greeting cards-" Suddenly she froze. "They're gone."

"What?" Jason followed her gaze. He gave her a confused look. 

The bleachers. The two half-blood kids, Bianca and Nico, were no longer there. The door next to the bleachers was wide open. Dr. Thorn was nowhere in sight. Jessica turned around, looking for Percy- he was gone too. She let go of Jason's hand. "Sorry, lost my friends. Gotta go."

"Ah," Jason said. "It's okay. Wonderful time."

***

Jessica smiled as though nothing was wrong with the world and then sprinted towards the corridors. She ran through the crowd. She turned a full circle, looking for Annabeth or Thalia and Grover. Instead, she saw something that chilled her blood. About fifty feet away, lying on the gym floor, was a floppy green cap just like the one Bianca di Angelo had been wearing. Near it were a few scattered trading cards. And beyond that, the that door was at the end of the gymnasium was hinging backward and forward, like someone had just gone that way.

Jessica wanted to call out for help, but she didn't have the time to run after Thalia to solve every problem. The di Angelos were in danger. Percy was in danger. 

"THALIA!" Jessica shouted once. But no answer came. So she put her hand into her pocket and brought out her coin- it soared into the air and landed in her hand as a sword and started towards the door.

"JESSICA!"

She turned around to find Annabeth and Thalia running towards her. "SEARCH FOR PERCY!"

Jessica walked through the door. The door led into a dark hallway. Jessica heard sounds of scuffling up ahead, then a painful grunt. Her blade glowed faintly, casting a golden light on the rows of lockers. 

She jogged down the corridor, but when she got to the other end, no one was there. She opened a door and found herself back in the main entry hall. She didn't see Dr. Thorn anywhere.

"Where are they?" Thalia asked, opening the door and following Jessica into the main hall. 

"I don't know!" Annabeth replied. She clutched her hair furiously. "Why couldn't he wait?"

"I'm going outside and checking," Jessica said. "Wait here." She advanced out of the hall slowly. Where was Dr. Thorn? "It's all clear here." She summoned all the air around her and lifted herself up into the air. Thalia and Annabeth stood on the ground, looking around for Percy. She flew towards the large roof and held onto a steel pole that was generally used for hoisting flags- it was so cold to touch that Jessica felt slightly nauseous.

From up above, the view was nice. White sheets of snow covered the land like wallpaper. Even trees were white- they were spotted with large black ravens. Everything was calm- except the wind. The wind hit Jessica like a thousand spears to the chest. But there-