𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒊. i'm in crain

            "No, because why was that exactly two minutes and 32 seconds?"

            Maggie smiled cheekily at the compliment. They noticed. She hadn't thought anyone would notice outside. It was just a little contest with herself. "Thank you, Sarah, for praising my precision."

            The two girls had gone inside the house, looking for Maggie when they didn't see her on the porch. They were terrified, to say the least. The stairs cracked and they breathed out a fearful breath.

            "Just... relax," Maggie told the blonde. "Breathe."

            That's when they heard the shuffling and thumping from upstairs. It sounded like slow footsteps and a crane ( how fitting ) following along as support. Her heavy breathing came closer.

            "Shit!" Sarah whispered. She kept a close eye on the stairs. Kiara started breathing loudly because of the anxiety. Maggie stood in front of her and put a hand over her mouth, using her other to put a finger over her own lips. Kiara nodded frantically, but Maggie kept her hand in place.

            "It's— it's late, Leon," Mrs. Craine's raw voice rang from the other side of the room. "Too late." She said between coughs. She slowly came closer, to the point where she walked straight past them. Mrs. Crain couldn't see them, though. In fact, she couldn't see anything.

            "I can hear you, Leon," Her voice grew full of anger. "I've been waiting all night!" She swung her crane in the direction of the three girls, missing their heads by only an inch.

            The girls ran away deeper into the house. Mrs. Crain kept yelling into the air to this so–called Leon, who Maggie assumed was her husband. Kiara stopped at a closed off door. There was a lock, but she was determined to open it. Sarah ran into another room. But since Maggie could hear Mrs. Crain yelling, she knew she hadn't been caught. That was until she became silent.

            Kiara and Maggie followed the sounds of metal on walls. In something what looked like a small library, Sarah was ducking from Mrs. Crain's attacks.