𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊. sometimes silence doesn't mean peace

            After the debacles of the night before, the group of Pogues were up early to build the winch

            After the debacles of the night before, the group of Pogues were up early to build the winch. Correction — Pope was up early to build the winch. The rest was up early, too, just not for building. Maggie sat near the back, on top of the hot tub. The only thing getting wet, were her feet.

            JJ took a seat next to her. He leaned in to talk lower. "So Adriana came to talk to me last night." He said, his eyes glued on the girl as she stood under the winch. Kiara sat on it and Adriana insisted on staying there to make sure she wouldn't fall.

            "Oh, you and Adriana, huh?" She teased. "What'd she say?"

            "You might wanna keep an eye on her," JJ's voice was weirdly serious. "She told me some stuff happening at home, and it's fucked up. I dunno, I feel like we should've included her earlier, Mags."

            Maggie looked at the girl. She was smiling so bright, it was almost evening out the fading bruise on the side of her face. "I had a hunch, but—" She shook her head. "I feel horrible."

            "Don't be," JJ placed a hand on Maggie's knee. "It's not your fault, you know?" He looked the girl next to him in the eye. "It's no one's fault. These things happen."

"They're not supposed to," Maggie stared at the grass in front of her. "It's not normal."

"How's it feeling?" Pope's voice rang. The two looked up to Pope, and Kiara sitting on the winch.

Kiara nodded. "Feels good."

"Can we take her down?" Adriana asked. She didn't let go of Kiara's hand, afraid she'd slip.

JJ changed the topic. "John B pullin' a Houdini."

"Yeah, where is he?" Pope asked. "I got my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done."

As if he'd jinxed it, John B came walking onto the grass. "Speak of the devil. Hey! Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything."