Chapter 45

Two Weeks Later.

     I had stared at Christopher. He was lying in the bed, and he was in his coma like the world was moving on faster without him. It's January eighteenth, and here I am sitting in the hospital reading his favorite book to him. I sometimes wonder if he can hear me. I been here with him for two weeks. I was discharged from the hospital last week.

  Now I am here in the hospital for Christopher. I stay until visiting hours are over. And then I stay at dad and Colleen's. I refuse to stay at my house alone because I feel the ghost of Christopher everywhere. So I stay with my dad. And I drive with my car to classes and after classes, I go to the hospital and I usually eat something at the cafeteria. Dad will sometimes meet me there if he's not on a busy surgery. Like last week he removed the worst and hardest bullet from a seventy-year-old man's head. And he said it was almost too complicated but he did it anyways.

   Christopher has been in a coma for four weeks. And it's 2022. Christopher is in this coma that I hate seeing him in. He is unconscious and every time I see him, I just want to cry. But I tell myself not to. I have to be strong for him. I read Wuthering Heights to him every time. I'm restarting the book for him. And I open to the first page.

  I begin to speak to him like always.

  "I'm about to read to you, Christopher. Your favorite. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë." I spoke aloud to him, and I open the book to the first chapter. And I begin to read to him.      
   "1801– I have just returned from a visit to my landlord. The solitary neighbor that I shall be troubled with. This is certainly a beautiful country. In all of England I do not believe that I could have fixed on a situation so completely removed from this society."

   Christopher was in his coma, and I liked to think that he could hear every word that I was saying. And while I was reading to him, I expected him to maybe try to fight this comatose situation and try to wake up. I can't figure out how he is to wake. I feel like there is not much to do but to still do the things I need to do.

I was holding Christopher's hand the entire time. And I was reading to him. And I did the best that I could. How was I to do anything except do what I'm doing? Ty told me to go forward and to think positive. So that's what I'm doing. And I smiled looking at him. And he's still on that stupid ventilator. And it made a bunch of noise while he was asleep. And of course I thought it was so pathetic of him to not even try to wake up. It's like he's letting himself go and not fighting. What good is that? So I had decided to stop reading and I placed the book down and I let go of his hand and I sat back, thinking of how he could let himself go like this.

"Is this what your so good for, Christopher?" I sobbed out, letting the tears fall from my eyes and down my face. "Are you planning on letting this annoying machine breathe for you? Your not a coward, Christopher. You need to fight this. Do you understand me? It's not your time to go. If you even think of dying here... I won't forgive you."

    I took a deep breath, and I watched him just lie there, with the ventilator keep going off every movement it took. I could see him just lying there. He didn't move. I wanted nothing but to see his eyes again. But I tried my best to think of him as someone who is sleeping. And he wasn't in a car wreck. And he was just sleeping in my opinion. But every time I heard the ventilator go off I knew it wasn't just sleeping that he was in a coma. And every time I looked at him, I had these memories of us that brought me back to the moment we first met to the moment we secretly dated behind our parents backs, to when we were separated and we rekindled again. And every fight we had, it was all just in my head and it was in my head the whole time.

"Come on, Christopher. How can I tell you, yes if your not gonna wake up? I'm telling you that you need to wake up. For me. For your mom. And I know that you are still in there. I can feel it." I spoke softly to him, trying not to get all worked up and stressed over.