Part II: Chapter Thirteen

I had woken up, finding myself in the bed of my Grandparents house in one of the spare rooms, I think. I heard the rain. And I recognized the room once I was fully waking myself up completely seeing my surroundings. And I noticed, I was in my dad's old room. I saw the red aesthetic wallpaper. The posters on his wall. His inspirer was Bobby Kennedy. He had a wall full of Politicians. Some were of President George H. W. Bush. And of course he had that up since 1992.

   My grandparents kept my dad's room the same since he was sixteen years old. My dad left for college at sixteen. He got into the best school and the best med school in David Geffen School of Medicine or as UCLA. And my dad had this room all his childhood. I looked over by the window and saw his desk and the chair still there. And I saw the dresser filled with picture frames on top of it. And I saw a few baseball trophies standing on a stand on the wall. And even baseball posters and I saw the New York Yankees logo on a baseball cap that sat over on the desk.

  I sat up in the bed, and I saw the room looking much bigger now. But I felt trapped inside of a time capsule. The year was 1994 since the last time my dad ever stepped foot into this room and when he left it. My dad had hated his childhood. He said coming home from school when he was twelve was a nightmare. He used to skateboard from the street, his and Freddie traveling right with him. And whenever dad would enter inside this house from school he felt like he was walking on eggshells with his dad, constantly that it scared him to the point he would hide away in his room. This very room.

   I had gotten up out of the bed and I was still in my dress from the wedding. And I was barefooted, I think Grandma took my shoes off for me. I think I was carried passed out upstairs into my dad's old bedroom. But as my feet touched the carpet, it felt so soft underneath my toes. The carpeting was a pale blue. The drapes were beige but the shades were yellow. And I got out of the King Sized bed. And I felt terrified to see my dad's old room. The moment I walked up to the dresser, I saw the pictures. And it was great to see old photos of my dad. I saw a picture of dad at nine years old, he was wearing his baseball uniform with a white baseball hat on, holding the bat in his hand in such a pose. And I saw a picture of dad and Freddie holding their puppy. It was the beagle dog they had when Freddie was eight. And I saw a picture of dad in high school in his car he had. His first car when he turned sixteen. And I saw a photo of him with two guys and three cheerleaders. The girls I had no idea who they were. One of them was a blonde and the other a brunette. And the girl right next to my dad, she was a redhead.

Julie, I thought to myself.

   Julie was my dad's first love. They were fifteen when they fell into a love. But they were forbidden because Julie's father forbid them to be together. And they had a private relationship. Until they were caught and they were forbidden to be together. Her father gave my dad a restraining order and Grandpa had literally beat the hell out of my dad for messing with a girl like Julie. But after that, Julie was so heartbroken she took her father's gun and took the family boat and went out to sea and she shot herself leaving herself to drown on the boat out on sea. Her body was eventually recovered in the water. It destroyed my dad. And a month after, my dad left for college by graduating early at just sixteen.

And I looked at the red headed girl in a yellow sweater and a blue skirt and a Pom-Pom in her hand, waving. My dad was going on sixteen at this time. And I saw Julie smiling, she was so pretty. And I see why my dad was so infatuated with her when he was young. And I wondered more about my dad just as I looked at every picture.

  I saw my dad in a picture with a bunch of high schoolers his age what looked like a high school party. I saw those red club cups, and the boys and girls in the background looking like they were having so much fun. I wanted to cry, because it obviously made me look at my dad's life. And it actually made me cry because I had my father's life just stare in front of me and it caused me a bunch of flashes of memories of my dad and me in my head.