9 | Alone

|||

|||

[Alone]

Ivory stood next to Peggy and Phillips as they waited for any word from Steve, surprisingly Peggy seemed to be more distraught than Ivory was, "He'll be okay..." he tried his best to ease the woman's nerves.

"I hope so." Peggy whispered.

That's when Steve's voice came onto the radio, "come in.— This is Captain Rogers, do you read me?" He sounded frantic.

Ivory's stomach dropped, he knew something was wrong. He didn't want to think about it too much. He got up and hurried closer to the radio to listen to what was going on.

"Captain Rogers, what is your lo—" a man began to respond to him only for him to be cut off by Agent Carter.

"Steve, is that you?— are you all right?" Peggy asked, her words coming out faster than he had ever heard before.

"Peggy, Schmidt's dead!" Steve yelled. Ivory felt better knowing he had succeeded. But, deep down he knew something else was wrong.

"What about the plane?" Peggy asked as more people gathered around the radio.

Steve paused for a minute before answering, "That's a little bit harder to explain." He noted.

"Steve, what's going on?" Ivory asked frantically, his heart speeding up.

Peggy glanced at Ivory, "Give me your coordinates, I'll find you a safe landing site." She softly told Steve.

"There's not gonna be a safe landing, but I can try and force it down."

"We can get Howard on the line..." Ivory suggests to Peggy who nodded.

"He'll know what to do." Peggy agreed.

"There's not enough time, this things moving too fast and it's heading for New York." Steve emphasized, he stopped talking for a second, "I got to put her in the water."

Ivory gently pushed Peggy to the side, "We can find a way, Steve" he objected lowly. He wasn't about to lose another friend.

"Please, don't do this— we have time, we can work it out." Peggy urged, her voice cracking slightly.

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere—if I wait any longer a lot of people are gonna die, I have no other choice, Ives." Steve explained, "Ivory, I want you to promise me you will continue working with Stark, don't lock yourself away after all of this." He lectured Ivory for a moment, "Peggy, this is my choice." He went silent for a few seconds again.

"Peggy." Steve called out.

Tears began to roll down Peggy's cheeks, "I'm here." She whispered.

Ivory put his head in his hands, hiding the fact that he had been crying as well. He wanted to leave the room so bad, yet he forced himself to stay and listen to Steve.

Steve's voice began to get shakier by the second, "I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance." He croaked out a bit.

Peggy closed her eyes, "All right, a week next Saturday, at the Stork Club." She cried.

"You got it." Steve answered.

"Eight O'clock on the dot, don't you dare be late— understood?" Peggy ordered sadly.

"You know, I still don't know how to dance." Steve mumbled.

Peggy began to stumble over her words, "I'll show you how— just be there." She pleaded.

"We'll have the band play something slow." Steve's voice became dispirited, "I'd hate to step on your—" and just like that, his voice cut out.

"Steve?—Steve?—Steve?" Peggy cried harder.

Ivory got up and left the room quickly. Leaning against a wall, sliding down it as he broke into tears. Sobbing on the ground with his head in his hands.

He was all alone.

|||

Ivory stood next to Howard, watching the water from the window of the boat. It was relaxing, he hadn't gotten to do that for a long time. The reason they were there sort of put a damper on the whole 'relaxing' thing.

They were searching for Steve. Well that was one of the goals. The other was to find the Tesseract. Though, the main thing they wanted to find was Steve.

Shortly after the war ended, Howard had asked Ivory to be his partner. Ivory asked why he asked him in the first place. Howard said something along the lines of 'Nobody else is fit for the job.' Either way... Ivory agreed.

"Sir." A man called out to Howard.

Ivory followed him over to the man. They glanced at the screen to see the Tesseract displayed on it. 'This was the thing Schmidt was using?' He thought.

Howard turned to the Captain of the ship, "Take us to the next grid point." He commanded, the Captain nodding and walking away.

"But there's no trace of wreckage." The man said, "And the energy signature stops here." He pointed out.

"Just keep looking." Howard insisted.

Ivory looked at Howard, "You think we'll find him?" He asked.

"It's not looking good, pal." Howard grumbled, looking out at the water, "But maybe a miracle will happen..." he patted Ivory on the back.

'A miracle, yeah right.' Ivory mentally scoffed.

|||

Authors Note:

Short Chapter, I'm sorry!!!

But hey! It's a double upload, which... I've never done before. So at least you get to read more today!

I've also decided this will be the last chapter of part one. I know it's short but I feel like it's a good closing point for part one. I will be immediately working on the next part.

Also, please don't freak out!! Everything will make sense in the end. I know this ending might be a bit confusing lol. But I promise I know what I'm (partially) doing.

P.s- vote on chapters as you read and leave a comment, I really do appreciate it!

Thank You!