42 | Evolve

|||

|||

[Evolve]

Ivory and Tony made it to the barn, entering slowly into its dust ridden interior. The tractor was an older model— Definitely vintage.

"Hello, Deere." Tony made a tractor joke, making Ivory roll his eyes, "What? No laugh? Tough crowd." He grumbled.

"Let's see what's the issue." Ivory hummed, walking right up to the tractor. Touching a few knobs here and there.

"Do me a favor," a voice caught them off guard making Ivory jump. Tony on the other hand just turned his head, a knowing expression displayed on his face. They'd know that voice anywhere, "Try not to bring it to life." Fury lectured.

"Mrs. Barton, you little minx....I get it, Maria Hill called you, right?" Tony called out, "Was she ever not working for you?" He fumed, stepping closer to Fury.

"Artificial Intelligence, you never even hesitated... and you dragged one of the best scientists in on it." Fury enunciated.

Ivory crossed his arms, "Bruce was included too." He huffed.

"Banner and I aren't as well acquainted, Moore." Fury elaborated, "I know you though." He surmised, a small inclining of a smile apparent on his face.

Ivory had never seen that look before. Especially not from Nick Fury, "Uh huh... good to see you too, sir." He grumbled nervously.

"Look, it's been a really long day." Tony paused, "Like Eugene O'Neill long, so how's about we skip to the part where you're useful." He hissed, waiting for Fury to get on with it.

"Look me in the eye and tell me you're going to shut him down." Fury requested.

"You're not the director of me... him." Tony pointed at Ivory, "Maybe, but not me." He clarified with a booming voice.

"I'm not the director of anybody." Fury said, sitting down on a hay bale, "I'm just an old man who cares very much about you." He countered, looking between Tony and Ivory.

"And I'm the man who killed the Avengers." Tony replied, sounding like a confession more than anything.

"What?" Ivory whispered, his brows stitched together. What was Tony talking about? They were all fine.

"I saw it. I didn't tell the team, how could I? I saw them all dead, Nick. I felt it, the whole World, too— Because of me, I wasn't ready." Tony revealed the terrors he was shown by Wanda, "I didn't do all I could." He added, guilt lacing his tongue. He backed away slowly looking away from both of them.

"I was in a Hydra base, they brainwashed me all over again... my mission." Ivory spoke up, "Kill the Avengers, the whole thing made me want to quit this all together. The last thing I want to do is hurt the team, deep down I'm dangerous... right?" His voice cracked slightly as he tried his best to hold back tears. It felt good to get that all off his chest.