12 | Recruits

|||

|||

[Recruits]

Steve hit the punching bag until it practically fell apart, Ivory and Fury had been watching for a while now. You could see the frustration in his face with each blow. His jaw clenched, Ivory knew that exact feeling.

Ivory didn't see Steve that much anymore because of work, it felt as though they were drifting from one another for that very reason. One of the reasons was that Ivory had changed so much since he woke up—he wasn't the same Ivory from 1943. He wasn't that quiet guy from Brooklyn any more. And that was very evident to Steve.

When Steve first woke up, he thought 'At least I'll have someone familiar to me.' Yet...he couldn't be more wrong. Ivory was exceedingly different than he used to be. It all felt so unfamiliar to him, he wasn't at all the same man he once was.

For Ivory, he thought his change in demeanor and personality was a good thing. He was finally able to be himself. He wasn't forced to hide behind a shy mask anymore. That's one of the things he liked about waking up in the future. The progressiveness of society was like a breath of fresh air in his lungs. But, Steve would never understand that.

Steve swiftly hung up a new punching bag with ease—hitting it a few times, "Trouble sleeping?" Fury called out, getting Steve's attention.

Steve's looked from Fury to Ivory, "I slept for 70 years, sir— I think I've had my fill." Steve half joked, immediately going back to hitting the punching bag.

Fury's voice was like gravel, "Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." The eyepatch wearing man voiced as he sauntered closer to Steve.

Steve looked up, his breathing rigid, "When I went under, the world was at war— I wake up, they say we won." He mumbled as he unwrapped his hands, "They didn't say what we lost." Steve's nerves became shot, he was getting more and more agitated every time Fury opened his mouth.

"We've made some mistakes along the way..."

Ivory's chuckled dryly, "Some, recently." He commented from beside the Director, making Steve look up at his old friend, his eyes averting their gaze to his bandaged arm.

Steve dropped his hateful attitude for a moment, "What happened?" He asked Ivory, his voice full of worry. It was funny to Ivory how easily Steve dropped his 'tuff guy' act when he got worried about him.

Ivory scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "That's why we're here." Ivory knew Steve wasn't going to just agree to anything immediately— he knew they'd have to do a bit of convincing. Fury for sure wasn't going to take 'no' for an answer.