~Prologue~

|||

|||

[Truth Be Told]

Realizing Bucky was still alive disrupted Ivory's reality more than he could ever express. All the therapy sessions he had meant nothing now. All that progress was down the drain. He had came so close to being at peace with Bucky being gone. And now he may or may not have something to hang on to. He had hope.

Ivory left the hospital soon after Steve woke up. He was in decent enough shape to be able to attend the hearing with Natasha. He was nervous to say the least.

All his secrets were out to the public. Now they know the monster Hydra made him into. The awful things he had done while under their control. People weren't going to see him as the hero they once did.

He walked to the front of Capital Hill, hand in hand with Nat, "You ready?" She whispered into his ear. Cameras flashing all around them, reporters screaming out questions.

"Ready as I'll ever be." Ivory whispered back, keeping a straight face as they were escorted inside.

They made their way to where the committee was gathered, "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." A woman asked, Ivory and Nat both placing their hands on a Bible.

"I do." Nat agreed.

Ivory nodded, "Yes, I do." He replied softly. Feeling eyes on them from all directions. He didn't like this type of attention.

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" A mans voice boomed, his face stone cold.

Natasha raised a brow, crossing her arms ever so slightly, "I don't know what there is left for him to say, I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently." She answered with composure.

The old man didn't seem to care for that answer, "Well, he could explain how this country is expected to maintain its national security now that he, and the two of you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus." He argued, tilting his head a bit.

Ivory's eye twitched, "Hydra was selling you lies, not intelligence." He stated loudly, gripping the table in-front of him— Hoping it would keep him from jumping out of his seat like a mad man.

"Many of which you both have seemed to have had a personal hand in telling." The man quipped, venom lacing his tongue.

Another committee member sat up in his seat, leaning forward, "Agents, you should know that there are some in this committee who feel, given your service records, both for this country and against it, that you both belong in a penitentiary— Not mouthing off on Capital Hill." His words sounding more like a threat than anything else. That made Ivory's blood boil.