(70) Part 4

Lance's p.o.v:

He couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy as he watched his mate dote on another alpha, wondering just how close his mate and Shiro had gotten on their last trip there. Why the hell are those two so close? Why can't anyone else be responsible for Shiro's physical state? Why can't Shiro handle this kind of thing without assistance? Marzi hit his hand, one of the ones holding her, then when she didn't get his attention she tugged on his hair as Lance watched Keith tend to Shiro's injury.

"..Doesn't that hurt?" Hunk questioned incredulously, referring to the hair torture Marzipan was currently putting Lance through. "What? Oh. Yeah a bit, but I've grown used to it. She loves to play with hair and has bitten people just to make a point, I just hope that Noam doesn't follow in her mischievous little footsteps. I can only handle so much biting." He replied nonchalantly, poking at Marzi's sides to distract her from yanking on his hair.

Keith glanced back at Lance after hearing that, face slightly flushed, a look of surprise and confusion written across his features. Oh? What was that little reaction about? How interesting! He'll definitely have to find some kind of way to tease Keith about it later. "She bites?" Pidge asked amusedly, giving Lance a 'you know first hand?' kind of look.

"Yep, she sure does. Marzipan will tend to do it when she's upset, frustrated, feeling protective, or just purely teething. She has little fangs in there giving her a hell of a time coming in." Keith explained, resuming his efforts in cleaning up Shiro's face. "Fangs? But she's Altean like Lance? And he doesn't have fangs, right? Did I miss them somehow after all this time of knowing him?" Hunk rambled skeptically, eyeing the pup in question warily as if she were an adorably dangerous little piranha.

"Well, they're both our kids, you know. We're just lucky that neither of them got human ears that skipped a generation. I truly don't know how we'd explain that away or what we could've done had that happened." Keith rambled as he tipped Shiro's head back, trying to see if the blood flow stopped yet. That's true, since Keith's father was human there is always a slim chance that if they did somehow mend their relationship and went on to have another pup that that hypothetical pup could come out with human ears or something. He had been told during his mate's last heat that Keith was actually more human than galra, which truly explained why the difference in galran features was so evident when they first met.

"I think it's done bleeding, thank you guys." Shiro murmured, getting up to take care of the bloody rags. See! That's a grown man that doesn't need to be looked after! Keith urged Shiro to sit back down, forcefully taking the washcloths and bowl of water with him into the nearest bathroom. "Keith, I'm a grown man! I could've done it for myself!" Shiro protested, obediently staying put on the couch with a sigh. That's exactly what he's been thinking himself!

"Pffft. You know how he is, he's just overprotective like that. You know, like a mama bear or something. Besides, you did slam your face into a door. You very well could have a concussion or something." Pidge chided, tracing their index finger over the bridge of Noam's tiny purple nose. That's true.. They can't let Shiro fall asleep for the time being and if that guy throws up they might just have to go to the hospital tonight. What a start to their trip, huh?

"I know that, I'll be extra careful from now on. I've learned a very painful lesson about getting ahead of myself." Shiro grumbled, rubbing his temples to relieve his migraine. "That reminds me, did you two want to settle in a bit more before sitting down to talk?" Pidge asked, finally getting the conversation back on track. Lance nervously glanced around between them all, mentally praying that his mate would return soon and save him from this awkward encounter.