Chapter Thirty-Six: Soul-Tied

As soon as he says it a pale blue shimmer washes over me. I watch as Sam's eyes grow scared and furious. The cement room comes into view and it's only Uriel. His gaze is serious and intense. I do a double-take because it throws me off a bit. He grabs a folding chair from outside the barrier and places it inside so it's directly in front of him. He motions to the chair inside the barrier asking me to sit. I watch as he hikes his pants up a bit sits down and crosses one leg over the other. He looks so sophisticated. It's pretty hot. There's no denying Urine is attractive. I chuckle inwardly at the nickname. He notices on my face that something is amusing me so he gives me one eyebrow. I shake my head as if to say never mind. I wait for him to speak.

He doesn't so I look hard in his eyes while he looks hard into mine. It feels like we are having an eye battle fight for dominance like a dog. If that's the case I won't look away first. Or is the first one to blink lost? Either way, I'm going to win. He will break first. Some people can't stand the thought of silence or quiet when there's someone else close to converse with. I spent most of my life alone so conversation isn't a necessity for me. Him being the angel of wisdom I assume he loves to talk.

"Your lilac eyes with your pale skin tone are striking. Do you know what I mean when I say almost too beautiful to look at? The kind of beauty that causes you pain. Your eyes do that. Did you know?" Uriel says still holding my eyes captive. He's trying to win. Complimenting me. That's cheating.

"I didn't know that. The way you carry yourself in confidence and your casual demeanor makes it so all eyes in a room would look to watch you. Did you know?" I compliment him back.

He half grins and then rightens his face. "I did know that." He goes to grin again but stops. We stay staring at each other for a while longer. He narrows his eyes as if he's thinking while looking at me.

"I need to tell you something important. Michael forbids me from even saying anything. Yet he doesn't own me. He is the most powerful angel but I will do what I feel is best to complete my mission. I feel it is precedent that you know this information." He says and waits for me to speak. I want to stay silent but I know he wants some kind of word from me.

"I don't want you getting in trouble with Michael." I show concern in my eyes. Uriel's eyes grow soft looking at me. He takes in all my face looking at it all over. His eyes still show a softness to them.

"I can handle Michael." He says reassuring me. "What I'm going to tell you is going to be difficult to hear. It will be very painful." He says then wait for me again.

"As long as you're not about to lie to me then I'd like to hear it. If knowing it is for the best." I say nervous now about what he is going to say. Then he continues.

"I won't tell you all of the truth. There are still some parts I need to keep to myself. I'm saying this just so you know of my honesty." He says sounding respectful. "I have figured out from deduction that you asking if my parents are soul mates that you found out you and Samael are is that correct?"

I freeze a little bit. What's lying going to do here for me? There is nothing he can do about it so it wouldn't hurt to just tell him. "That is correct." I say curtly.

"Before I say anything else. I need you to promise me our friendship. In my trust in you as my owner. In my duty of trying to keep you safe. You tell no one in full what I'm going to tell you. You may give a simple response if asked. But you can't give full details. Do I have your word?" He asks looking me in the eyes. I swallow but don't need to think about it.

"You have my word." I say knowing that it is bound. I promise and I won't tell anyone not even Sam. If Uriel is trusting me I trust him.

"You remember how I said you're a soul anchor?" I nod my head. He takes a big breath and then holds it for a few moments. "A soul anchor is extremely rare. It can only be a pure demon who can become one. There are only a few hundred pure demons and it's a very very very rare chance one can be a soul anchor. A soul anchor carries another's soul inside it without it being detected. It can keep the soul safe and intact." He waits for me before continuing. "Half of Samael's soul is inside you. We expect he would never find it if he got free. He still has no idea but with your close bond..." He stops and takes a few big deep breaths inside his lungs. 

"You have a condition of the name soul tied which is so rare there's only ever been one case in all history. Being soul-tied means you and Samael's bond is so strong his soul is consuming yours to make them one." He waits again and takes a few more deep breaths. "Which means his soul will eventually consume yours until it's gone. You going to start getting sicker the more your soul is taken. I can't tell how far along in the process you are but you will get sick. It will get pretty horrible if history is correct. With the soul-tied history, they weren't even soul mates. There was a magical reason that she needed to hold the other soul. She lived for years. Although I'm full of worry for you that because of the soul mate situation, your time will be far shorter." He swallows hard and waits for me. 

I think about all this. I try to swallow but my throat feels like sandpaper. I'm in a state of denial my first thought is disbelief. In the end, I'm just left feeling numb. This was just a lot to take in. I have part of Sam's soul in me. That our bond is killing me. My eyes are wide with fear. Sam needs his soul to fully regenerate. He needs it for his protection during the war. How am I going to hell him now?

"Is there a way we can stop it?" I ask hearing my voice as small and broken.

"I'm working on it. I'm working hard to find a way to help you Xirasti, I mean it." He looks at me with conviction.

"I have something else to say. My sister Caliel is going to come to you. She will ask you for the truth. All you can say is you are dying. Do you understand?" I swallow and shake my head yes.

"I need you to say it out loud." He says a bit forcefully.

"I understand," I say louder.

"The power of your magic comes from your uncorrupted soul right?" He asks me but I don't see where he's going with this.

"Yes." That is the only word that I can get out.

"The more your soul is consumed the less your magic is going to be able to work. When you get fully sick it won't work at all. Other demons can absorb souls into their bodies to get more power or sustain power. Because of how your body works to contain and protect souls it won't work for you." His words hit me like a brick wall. How am I going to help Sam if I get sicker?

"I don't feel sick," I say upset.

"There is no knowing when it will start Xirasti." He says calmly again staring softly into my eyes. "Just know Michael is starting to get more and more intense. He's starting to up defenses to double. "I know Sam is going for the Arc and the Goblet. Does he have the bones?" He asks me but I don't feel comfortable saying. Feeling as though Uriel is trusting me I should trust him.

"No." I hear my voice croak. My mouth feels dry and my tongue is like sandpaper. He leans into the barrier and rubs my knee. He holds my knee and lets his hand linger there. If I wasn't so scared I'd be blushing. He moves his hand past my leg and upon my thigh. He squeezes it and he transports me back to hell.