Drift (Kozume Kenma)

Requested on my Tumblr.

Title: Drift

Pairings: Kozume Kenma x Reader

WARNINGS: Yandere themes

Summary: You keep trying to branch out, but everyone seems to drift away. All you have left is your sickly friend.

drift

/verb/

move passively, aimlessly, or involuntarily into a certain situation or condition:

Some days, it felt like you were lost at sea. Like you were on a raft floating on the ocean, no land in sight. Sometimes it soothed you to think of the gentle waves and endless water. Other times, you felt the crushing loneliness and helplessness as though you were really there.

Right now, you felt the latter.

"Sorry, (Y/n), I just don't have time to hang out with you anymore." Your friend said before they practically ran away from you.

At least this friend had the decency to give you an excuse. The others had all ghosted you- not returning your texts or calls. Either avoiding you in real life or disappearing off the map entirely.

What was weirder, they always acted almost afraid of you.

You weren't a scary person, if anything you were too nice for your own good. You were a doormat, used to people taking advantage of your kindness. Yet your friends and acquaintances would suddenly avoid you like you had caught the plague.

Where had they all gone? And why?

As if on cue, your phone began to ring. You picked it up and answered the call, holding the cell phone close to your ear to hear whoever was on the other end. The voice belonged to the exact person you suspected it did.

"(Y/n)," your friend, Kenma, sighed into the phone, "I'm not doing well today. You'll visit me after your classes, won't you?"

"Of course, Kenma!" You replied immediately, "I'll be there as soon as possible. I hope you feel better."

"Thank you," he said softly, a little cough ringing out through the phone's speakers before he hung up.

You stifled a sigh as you placed your phone in your pocket. Kenma was your only remaining friend now, the only person that had stayed by your side all this time, but he was very needy. It didn't help that he'd gotten badly sick with something that just wouldn't go away.

You were the type to dote on the ill, but it was sometimes exhausting caring for Kenma. His symptoms never went away, no matter what you did. He insisted that only you could help him, that only you could make him feel better, but it felt like too big of a responsibility for you.

Still, it was the least you could do when he didn't leave you behind like everyone else, right?

When it was nothing but you and the ocean, sharing a raft could be more tiring than being alone on one.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You pushed Kenma's blond hair up so you could mop his forehead with a wet washcloth. The cool cloth wiped the sweat from his brow and cooled his warm face. His cheeks were flushed slightly, but that symptom only started when you started attending to him.

"Have you taken your temperature yet?" You asked.

Kenma picked up a thermometer from the nightstand and showed it to you. A fever, like always, even though he never felt feverish to the touch. You frowned pityingly down at him.

"I'll change your sheets out, okay? Then we can watch something together."

Kenma gave you a smile and allowed you to remove the blankets from his bed, replacing them with clean sheets and tucking him into them. To anyone else, this smile looked like a pained one, one to show that he was thankful even though he was so sick.

If only Kenma was actually sick.

The truth was, he had been sick, for a little while. The way you had cared for him while he was sick awakened something in him. Your soft little hands touching his heated skin? Your kind face smiling down at him with pity and care?

How could you expect him to let go of that?

And dropping out of college had its advantages. That way, he had plenty of time to get ahold of your "friends" without you knowing.

He'd never let you find out that he was faking his illness. Nor that he was the one scaring away everyone you knew.

Right now, all you had was him and him alone.

He just had to keep it that way.