Chapter 5

A security officer showed the Redcoats to their dressing rooms as the writing crew packed up their stuff getting ready to leave. 

"I need to talk to you, Rob" said Mel after the others left.

"About what?" said Rob.

"Listen. The kids are ruining the hotels the boys are staying in again. We thought you could help us" said Mel.

"By letting them stay in my house again" Rob guessed.

"That's right. For the holidays. The police department scaled your neighborhood; all the teenagers are on vacation" said Mel.

"Well, that's good. But there's still a problem. Charles Wallace is spending the holidays in my house too" said Rob.

"Then make sure he doesn't know" said Mel.

Charles Wallace came in the next second. "I'd be glad to spend the holidays with the Redcoats."

Mel jumped in surprise. "Did you eavesdrop on us?"

"No. I knew you'd be talking about it. I'm one of the greatest minds in recent history" said Charles Wallace.

Mel looked at Rob. "I hate this kid."

Rob rolled his eyes. "Little buddy, I'm glad you wanna do this. But it's gonna be hard. We can't tell anyone the Redcoats are in my house."

"Don't worry, Mr Petrie. I'm really good at keeping secrets" said Charles Wallace.

"Yeah... for a kid, you are good at adult things" said Rob.

"So how about it? I'd have something to tell my pals at home about" said Charles Wallace.

"No! Don't tell anybody!" Mel snapped.

Charles Wallace squinted his eyes at the man.

"If... if your home friends were here" said Mel awkwardly.

Charles Wallace looked at Rob. "Was he bald before I got this job?"

"Yeah, little buddy; it's not your fault" Rob laughed.

"But are you sure you can handle this?" said Mel.

"Absolutely. The Redcoats like me anyway" said Charles Wallace.

"Alright then. Now go before your 'greatest recent mind' drives me bugs" said Mel.

Charles Wallace and Rob then left the building to go home for the holidays.