Chapter 37

"That's how it's been in the studio lately? Fifteen minutes and George needs his space?" said Sam.

"Yeah, it's been that way since Eppy died" said Paul.

"Oh yeah. I miss Brian" said Meg.

"Me too. But if John breaks up with Yoko, I'm not gonna miss her" said Charles Wallace.

"Charles Wallace..." said Calvin.

"Well, you know she also has a part in this! Paul mentioned that John's been getting too serious with her" said Charles Wallace.

Paul took a breath and continued his story.

"When I got home, Jill was already in bed; it was rather late. And if you'll excuse the expression, she look bushed" he said.

"That doesn't surprise me" said Batman.

"Me neither. You poor things must have both been exhausted" said Robin.

"It has been hard to sleep with all the crying" said Paul.

"And it wasn't exactly the baby crying" said Jill in embarrassment.

"You were crying?" said Sam.

"Yes. I don't know why, but I my eyes were basically waterfalls" said Jill.

"Well, according to something I once read, up to eighty percent of new mothers experience baby blues. That's when you can't stop crying after having a baby" said Charles Wallace.

"Oh. I didn't know there was a name for my unusual state" said Jill.

"Or that it's more usual than we thought" said Paul.

"And, Paul, the best thing you can do is tell Jill she's doing a good job" said Charles Wallace.

"I have been, old lad. I tell her all the time" said Paul.

"But he still had a hard time getting me to sleep that night" said Jill.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Jill was in bed crying her eyes out on Paul's shoulder

For a long time, Paul said nothing, so his wife could have some peace and quiet.

"She likes the Wiggles more than me" said Jill.

"Oh come on; while they have what it takes, no child likes the Wiggles more than their own parents" said Paul.

"You thought the kids liked them more than you" said Jill.

Paul rolled his eyes and just didn't answer.

"Y'know... you are doing such a smashing job handling your life, Paul" said Jill.

"It's not hard. I'm sure we'll come around" said Paul.

"But without George Martin and Brian Epstein, I dunno what you four are" said Jill.

"We're still the Beatles, lovey. And with our album, we may be back on top soon" said Paul.

"I hope so" Jill sighed.

Paul kissed her head and sang to her.

We three kings of Orient are

Bearing gifts, we travel so far

Field and fountain, moor and mountain

Paul and Jill: Following yonder star (Jill: I know what you're doing)

Oh, star of wonder, star of light

Star with royal beauty bright

Westward leading still proceeding

Guide us to thy perfect light