013

MAKE ME

Atmosphere is a term of protean elusiveness, a broad term describing a phenomenon so evanescent and so devoid of borders that one's best instincts when involved with the practical world of architecture, and elusive mind, might be to avoid it as mu...

Atmosphere is a term of protean elusiveness, a broad term describing a phenomenon so evanescent and so devoid of borders that one's best instincts when involved with the practical world of architecture, and elusive mind, might be to avoid it as much as possible. Yet, the word imposes itself on many varying aspects of architectural criticism that describe the way space affects the beholder. How it's image varies with the perception of the human eye and how it's description wanes with each and every eye that gaze upon it. Atmosphere, understood in the broad sense of a psychosomatic climate, is an overall perceptual, sensory, and emotive impression of a space, big or small, or an emotive situation. Philosophers of atmosphere describe it as the affective power of feelings, the spatial bearer of mood. As an analytical concept, atmosphere gives some measure of objectivity to the grasp of feelings in one's surroundings while avoiding a conception of moods as mere projections of private mental states, rather than situational expressions.

Atmosphere, in contrast, is also a surface phenomenon. To appreciate architecture in terms of mood and ambiance is to sustain attention on the foreground of sensations, drawing the main focus away from buildings as fixed, cohesive objects with discrete forms, statuesque qualities, and, often, discreet sociopolitical mechanisms. Perception, or the way space emits sensations, becomes the sole concern. Taking the user's or the beholder's point of view, atmospheric analysis has the advantage of relying on immediate experience, providing an accessible way to speak of architecture. A rich colloquial vocabulary exists to describe its existence: a space can be gloomy, murky, somber, gray, impersonal, indifferent, jovial, lively, sunny, uplifting, and so on. But the conversational character of qualities should not make minds conclude that atmosphere is inconsequential. On the contrary, our propensity to talk about it points to the fact that it has powerful and lasting effects on humanity. Perceiving space as a bearer of feelings is one of the most important ways that humans orient ourselves in daily life. Thus, atmosphere is often one of a human's strongest memory of spaces they have experienced sensorially because it is inextricably bound to their first impressions of those spaces. It constitutes architecture's most immediate communicative dimension, partaking of all sensory perceptions: sights, sounds, smells, textures, even tastes. It is impossible to turn off atmospheric influences, even if they are banal and the mind loses awareness of them. Furthermore, because they are inescapably present, atmospheric influences provide the basic expressive orientations in our environment, which is never devoid of meaning.

A colloquial vocabulary peppers its essence over the atmosphere that made up the only master bedroom. Rather spacious, dim, thick, desolate, yet rather tranquil.. mentally appeasing. Around the time that marks the beginning of twilight before sunrise with the pearly glow that radiated from the vulnerable horizon nesting languidly upon the horizon of Queens. Recognized as the appearance of indirect sunlight showering the lands of the Earth's atmosphere. When the center of the Sun's disc has reached eighteen percent below the observers horizon. Dew embedded flora all around the states; the early morning twilight just barely glistening off nature's intricately crafted drops of frozen moisture upon the leaves of east coast plant life. Eyes played as surveillance over its existence, its sights, the dew defrosting as the sun rose over the buildings in the east and relishing in the first few rays of sunlight that scurry to alight the master bedroom through the slivers of window that wasn't shielded by blinds and black blackout curtains. He listened. The chorus of chirps that began, its sounds a well blended, and rather melodic, birdsong that ebbed and flowed into the shell-like of the unconscious, their ears perked up at the sound, before shifting and turning as sleep wore off and fatigue took its place.