Chapter 18 (Y/n)

We watched the silvery flower swirl in the clear water before it vanished.

It was silent as we contemplated what we had just done.

What if I had over-shared? I only told him so he'd stop being so physical for the rest of the quest.

"Can I ask what you were doing tonight that led you to the forest?" My voice felt small, but it was as if I could sense the pain drifting off him with every word he said.

He smiled.

"I was at bunker nine. It's my workshop."

"That sounds nice," I couldn't imagine having somewhere that was just mine. Even my room in the Big House wasn't mine; I was just borrowing it.

He stood up suddenly, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Do you want to see it?"

I hadn't seen him this awkward; the toe of his shoe dug circles into the floorboards.

"Sure. Friend." 

The words still felt weird to me. His eyes grew wide, and I watched his foot begin to tap as he smiled. 

He led me out of the bathroom, and we ducked through the shadows. The closer we got to the forest, the more the uneasy feeling in my stomach sank in. 

I tried to distract myself by looking around. The camp seemed really lovely at night. The dark air was soft and warm against my skin. 

The stars twinkled above, and I felt something inside me yearning to return to Acheloise's shrine.

Even from here, I could still see the dim light of torches as campers settled into their cabins from the search.

I had spotted Nico coming up the hill when they found us, dragging a groggy Will behind him. I was going to ask him what he wanted to talk to me earlier about. I mean, after everything that had happened already, I was past the privacy and mystery stage.

The bathroom girl came back into my mind; I bet she'd already gotten me kicked out by now.

I didn't know what happened. One minute, she was staring me down behind thick lashes. The next, she was on the floor muttering nonsense.

I wondered if-

Suddenly, a high-pitched screech rang out through the air. Leo met my gaze, and his smile vanished.

"Come on, it's just a little farther." 

We stumbled past the forest towards a massive rock face. Leo told me to wait while he walked over to the large stone slab. 

I could hear the sound of breaking twigs as something grew closer. 

I crouched and turned my head to see two ladies round the corner. Feathers sprouted from their arms, and their yellow-green eyes sent shivers up my spine. One was purple, the other blue, odd colours, unlike the ones I had run into; those were brown and silver.

"Leo," 

I'd had my share of encounters with Harpies; they usually didn't end well. He hummed at me in response, and I realized he was typing a code into some buttony thing. It was too late anyway; they had spotted us.

"Leo!" 

I yelled, watching as their talons protracted out in front of them. 

I reached for my sword at my hip, cursing as my fingers hit empty fabric. 

I must have left it in the bathroom or with Liam. Leo whipped around, and his eyes grew wide; he typed faster, his fingers flitting over numbers and letters.