Chapter 49 (Y/n)

Harley was right. 

That was not Leo.

His usual friendly chocolate eyes were dancing with flames. 

His face was taught, no sign of a smile. 

Leo raised the dagger, aiming at his own brother's chest, he lunged forward and the flat of my sword caught the sharp edge.

"LEO!" Melog screeched as if she was more disappointed in him and not terrified that he was trying to kill his brother, the one person he valued over the world.

Harley scrambled away into the blue naiad's arms. 

Leo turned to me, tears welling in his murky eyes.

"You." 

His voice dripped with unsustained rage, staring me down.

"What have you done to him!" I yelled, turning to look at the Titaness.

Big mistake.

Leo took this as an opportunity to twist his dagger, breaking free from the protection of my parry.

It seems, the little hero here has a lot of pent-up guilt. I'm merely giving him an outlet to express it.

The woman smiled sickeningly, speaking in my head. 

My stomach did a full-on gymnastic routine, somersaults and all.

"She's controlling him!"

He swung around, and I threw myself to the floor, rolling out of reach of his slice.

"(Y/n)!" Nico started towards me, but I held up my hand.

"Don't. She's messing with his mind, the same as she did to me. When I give the word, help hold him. For now, stay back, or she'll hurt you too."

I hauled myself upright, glaring at the Titaness.

Theia. 

Let. 

Him. 

Go.

Leo was quick on his feet and lunged, which I quickly parried.

I took that as a no.

"Leo," I muttered, staring at him as he pulled away, "it wasn't your fault."

I had been able to hear him when Theia attacked me, so he had to be able to hear me, right?

He shook his head, eyes wide.

"You killed him," He hissed, starting forward, his blade aimed at my leg. 

I stepped to the side, giving his shoulder a good push and sending him staggering behind me.

"Fight back!" He yelled, spinning around, rage seeping off of him. 

He sprinted towards me; I pushed him away, the flat edge of my sword against his chest.

"I'm not going to hurt you. Leo, listen to me," he looked up, his face swimming, "she's controlling you. Whatever you're seeing, it isn't real."

His face didn't change, and he swung his blade with the intent of injury. I parried, catching his dagger as he pushed back against me. 

For someone who was scrawny, Leo was a lot stronger than he looked.

Suddenly, my sword slipped, slicing a deep cut through his shirt, my blade biting into his arm

. He drew back, unphased by the blood.