Chapter 32 Leo

Woah.

"So, he was one step ahead of us?"

She nodded, bringing her mug to her lips and taking a sip. I grabbed another cookie, biting into it slowly as realization hit.

"But that means-"

"I met my uncle for no reason? Yeah." 

I nudged her shoulder like she'd done to me, and she smiled.

"So all we have to do is find these gods and get their blessing?" I mumbled, brushing the crumbs from my mouth and shirt. 

How hard could it be?

"Seems like that's the case. Have any idea where your dad could be?"

Actually, I did. 

I rummaged around inside my tool belt. I had stored it somewhere I could always find it. I pulled the yellow-aged map out of the pocket and handed it to her.

"He gave me this after the whole Gaea battle in case I ever needed a part from him. This is a map of all of his workshops. He's bound to be at one of them." 

She studied it, handing me her mug. Her eyes scanned the paper, flitting over marked dots on the world map. 

Their colour still caught me off guard sometimes; I liked the change. 

But it was really hard to ignore the fact that our hair was almost identical and had changed when the two of us had been trapped alone.

"You're staring." She announced, her gaze never leaving the map. 

My eyes flitted away, finding their way to the fridge instead of her face. There were dozens of photos of a little white-haired, golden-eyed girl with her mom. They both looked so happy. There was a man with blue eyes and blond hair in one of them.

That must have been her dad. 

I was about to ask about him when she suddenly spoke up.

"Here!" She brought the map over to the table, spreading it out and taking her mug from my hand, "This is up North, and it's bound to get your dad's attention, even if he's not there at first. What do you think?"

I stared at the ink blotch under her finger.

"Niagara Falls? In Ontario, Canada?"

The idea had swept her away; I knew she was already convinced to go.

"I mean, think about it, The great true North is where eight must go. Canada is basically as far North as you can go. And we know your dad will be there."

I shrugged. There was no guarantee he would be there, but it was the best lead we had.

"What about the whole 'guarded' thing?"

She pulled her eyebrows together.

"With our luck, he probably is. But if we can get this blessing, then we can move on. We need transportation, there's a bus station downtown. But I'm not sure what time the bus leaves. The station opens at 2:00." 

I looked down at my watch.

"Which is in twenty minutes."

She ran a hand through her hair.

"Hey, give her these. That way, you can stay in contact." I rummaged around in my toolbelt, pulling out a couple of drachmas. 

She looked terrified about confronting her mom. (Y/n) made a fist around the coins, her knuckles turning white.

Suddenly, her mum walked in wearing a paint smock over her cardigan. (Y/n) watched her fill her paint jar and grab her paintbrushes; tucking them behind her ear, she grabbed a cookie off the plate and suddenly caught her daughter's eye.

"Hey....Mum?" (Y/n) scratched the back of her neck. Mrs Hale turned to her.

"We've got to go, like right now. I don't know when I'll see you again. And I can't promise you I'll even make it back. But I'll try, okay? Please don't be mad, I know I just got here, but-"

She was interrupted by a hug. 

Plum-colored arms wrapped around her, squeezing her tight. Lourraine's voice was muffled in (Y/n)'s hair.

"I understand." 

She mumbled, pulling away and tucking a piece of hair behind (Y/n)'s ear, "Try to be safe-I know you can't promise me anything. But try."

(Y/n) nodded, the connection between them kind of reminded me of my mother. They were so close with each other.

"Here, these are drachmas; if you throw them into some running water and ask Iris, the goddess of the rainbow, who you want to see, you can talk to them." 

Mrs Hale wrapped her finger tightly around the gold coins. I could see the fear in her eyes that she wasn't trying to show, the fear that this would be the last thing she ever got from her daughter, ever. 

(Y/n) stepped back with us and nodded to Liam, who opened the door. As people piled out, I cleared my throat and took a step forward.

"Mrs Hale?" She turned to me, and (Y/n) stopped to see what was happening.

"One of my demigod friend's mothers went through this and a lot more. He offered to let me give you her number if you needed to talk." 

She smiled, cupping one of my cheeks.

"Thank you. And when I said be safe, I didn't just mean (Y/n). Take care of yourselves. Okay?" 

I swallowed hard, nodding. It had been years since someone had talked to me like this, like a mother. 

I handed her the paper and exited the apartment. As my slow footsteps led me away from the door, I heard Lourraine say something.

"(Y/n), is that the boy? Who changed your hair? You know your....?"

"I'm not sure," she mumbled back. 

There was a long pause before I heard her mumble an 'I love you' to her mother. The door closed, and she jogged to my side.

"Alright, we've got twenty minutes to get to the train station. I know a shortcut that should get us there in ten." 

I was going to question her, but I already knew why she had a shortcut. 

Sort of like when I knew what she was thinking on the boat with the tickets. 

When you're living on the street, you always have an escape plan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anybody catch the Sally Jackson reference? I just thought it would be adorable for Leo to give Lourraine Sally's number; I could imagine these two women being really great friends, lol.

Anyway, please keep commenting and voting!

- Thesourgummyworm <3