3.4

Nes checked in with the SGC the next day, her curiosity and concern over Khalek returning now that her need for death had been handled. She was both pleased and intensely relieved to hear he was dead. In his attempts to escape back to the planet they'd found him on, he'd been tricked, and while Cameron had held his attention, Daniel had shot him, following her advice and aiming for his heart. Khalek wasn't quite as powerful as he had imagined himself.

She was also grateful she would have something to report to Ba'al that was intriguing but worthless. It was never wise to go back empty handed.

Back in Bethesda, Ba'al was glad to see her, and she forced herself to respond with equal enthusiasm over the end of the short separation. She told him about Khalek and Ba'al shared her relief, showing more emotion than he maybe would have in the past. He was becoming more and more human with his time on Earth.

"You're sure he's dead?" he asked once more.

"Yes. And he didn't ascend."

"Good. And this Khalek...was he the only one?"

"On that planet, yes, but I'm sure Dr. Jackson will be going over all the notes with a fine-toothed comb."

"And how did you do in his presence, my dear?" He stroked her hair, offering comfort that she wasn't sure was real.

"I'm afraid I did feel myself swayed towards him, too many memories surfacing with his words, but fortunately he was from before our time with Anubis and did not have any knowledge of what transpired in the rest of the galaxy while he slept."

"And now?"

"Once he was dead, I felt completely myself again." She smiled and put her arms up around his neck. "And was very much looking forward to returning to you as soon as possible."

Ba'al leaned down to kiss her and she allowed it, but broke it off with a stifled yawn and excuses that would allow her to return to her own house for the night.

"Get some rest," he said to her. "I expect you to be perfect for tomorrow evening."

"Ah, yes, the opening night gala. I will be ready."

She'd completely forgotten, but it wasn't really an issue. A quick jaunt to her homes in New York and Paris, and she had an armful of gowns to choose from, all exquisite and many custom made just for her. Her number one priority for the evening was for Ba'al to see what an asset she was to him on his arm. She would be charming and desirable, and there was nothing he loved more than having things that others wanted. Goa'uld were like that in general, especially with each other, but Ba'al was now without competition in that arena beyond his clones. His next options then were the rich and famous and powerful amongst the Tau'ri. At least for the moment.

By the time Ba'al arrived in his black tuxedo with a black shirt and tie, Nes was just finishing up with her jewelry to accent the navy strapless gown that glinted with every movement as the light hit it. Ba'al let out a low whistle of appreciation, such a very human thing to do, and she smiled in thanks, slipping her lion ring onto her right hand.

"You look stunning as usual, Sekhmet."

"I do, don't I?" she said with a seductive smile. "You look quite handsome as well."

She reached out to adjust his tie and noted the tie tack with his personal symbol. She wondered if his cufflinks matched. He let his hands slide around her waist and leaned forward for a kiss, but Nes pressed a finger to his lips.

"You'll mess up my makeup and I was told to be perfect for the evening."

He blew out a breath of frustration before releasing her and reaching into his pocket. "I thought this might make a good addition for tonight." He held out a small box and popped open the lid.