flat tires

"Italian?" He looks at me as he opens the door. I lift my brows.

"Oh, yeah. That's fine. I'm happy with whatever you choose." I slide in to the other side so he won't have to walk around. Seeing this his face brightens a bit before he gets in closing the door behind him.

"Thanks for saving me the trip." Rome winks before sinking into his seat a bit, spreading his legs again. Not wanting another mishap, I cross my legs to make sure he has plenty of room.

After sitting in silence for a few blocks, I catch sight of Rome staring at my legs, out of the corner of my eye. I turn my head towards the window for a second hiding my smirk before clearing my throat; turning in his direction.

"So, Rome. Do you have a lucky lady in your life? Or two?" I giggle when he smirks and leans his head against the headrest. He shakes his head.

"No, not for a long time now." I turn my body in his direction, leaning my shoulder on the back of the seat. His smirk transforms into a smile, and it's contagious.

"How long is a long time?" He shrugs as his lips curl into a small pout.

"Six years give or take." My jaw drops a bit.

"I find that very hard to believe. It must be by choice. There's no way a successful, intelligent, and good looking man is ever turned down by a woman. I hope that isn't too forward?" I bite my lip thinking I may have gone too far. I'm going to lose this job before I truly even start.

He reaches over to pull my lip from my teeth, and brushes his thumb over it. "You are correct Eva. It is by choice. I was with someone for a while, but she wasn't the one. Just like your guy wasn't the one." I look past him out his window; not looking at anything in particular for a moment and think about the one. Is there even such a thing?

"Do you think you'll ever find her?" I look back at him after I ask the question."

"Mhmm. In fact, I found her a few years ago. But she wasn't ready for anything serious yet." I lay my head against my seat.

"Is she ready now?" I raise my brows. When his smile widens my heart breaks a little knowing she is, and it's not me. But he's my boss anyway. It would never happen between us.

His fingertips tenderly sweep over my hand pressed to the seat between us, as he gazes at me, "I think she is. If not now, then in the very near future." His tone is hopeful. I simply nod.

"Well, I think -who ever she is- would be a fool to turn you down." I smile trying to hide my disappointment.

"Thank you for saying that." I muster up a closed lipped grin. I really need to get myself together.

Feeling foolish, I straighten in my seat, placing my clutch in my lap. Hoping it isn't too much further to the restaurant.

As if God heard my prayer, the car comes to a stop. Rome gets out and again, he offers me his hand. This time I don't take it. "It's okay, I got it." Being careful so I don't regret denying his hand, I step up onto the sidewalk paying close attention to where I step.

When I look back at Rome waiting for him to close the door. He hesitates to close it, his eyes stuck to where I was just sitting. "Rome?" When he looks up at me I can see the disappointment in his eyes. Feeling bad, I walk back over to him. His hand is still extended to where he offered it to me. I take it in my hand and close the door myself. I stand in front of him, craning my neck. The guilt I have feels heavy, making me look down at our hands. "I'm sorry Rome, it just felt wrong to take your hand when you're hoping for another woman to accept you. I know if it were me seeing you holding another woman's hand; while you're telling me you want to be with me, I wouldn't like it. I probably wouldn't believe your feelings for me." I look back up. His eyes have softened and a lopsided smile has broken out on his face. "I don't want to screw anything up for you." He brings my hand in his up to his lips and presses a kiss to it. His lips linger on my hand, confusing me a bit.