The pack

After getting rid of Heather's body, I couldn't stop thinking about Peter and his pack. There was so much I needed to find out and only one way of getting the information. Unfortunately I'd have to get it on my own. Shifter's don't trust vampires, so Rome getting any info was out of the question. As much as he didn't like it he had to admit that I was going to be the one they would talk to. I'm a born shifter that carries the vampire gene.

When I called Peter to apologize for the way I reacted he was very hesitant to allow me anywhere near him. But I promised to be on my best behavior when I visited his pack house. He agreed to a meeting with his second in command Michael as well as the prior alpha; his dad John Quint.

I pull up in front of a cabin on steroids. It's a mansion. The grounds just as vast and beautiful as the house my parents once lived in. When I get out of the car Peter is standing at the bottom of the steps to the entrance waiting for me. He smiles when I turn in his direction and I return one to him. "Hey Peter." I walk over and give him a hug. He kisses the top of my head and holds me a little longer before clasping my hand in his.

"I'm so glad you're finally here. It's been forever. Not that you remember, but you did spend a lot of time here." Once inside we make a left turn into a huge living room. "Dad, Michael. This is our Luna, Ava Miranda." Alpha John and Michael stand from their seats and turn in our direction. I offer a small smile and shake Michaels hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Luna." I wave him off.

"Please, just call me Ava for now. Nothing is official yet. No need to be so formal." When I turn to John he takes my hand and pulls me into a hug.

"I can't believe you are here." He pulls back to look at my face. "You look just like your mother. It's uncanny." I blush and look down shyly.

"Dad, stop. You're embarrassing her. Let her be." Peter comes over pulling me away from John and sits with me on the leather couch opposite them. "So,"

"Actually Peter, I'd like to have a word with your father alone for a bit. If that would be ok."
He looks between his dad and I.  John nods his head as he sits straight and tall.

"Of course. Michael come with me." I watch as they both walk out. Not wanting to start until it's quiet.

"So my dear. What is it that you would like to know?" I fiddle with my fingers and bite the inside of my cheek.

"Well, it was about my parents. I know my father was a shifter. Was my mother born one as well?" He sits back and loosens up when he thinks this will just be a casual meeting.

"Your mom carried the gene. But she never met her wolf, so she never shifted. We'd all hoped it would be enough to breed another wolf. But that wasn't what happened. Although I've heard you met your wolf. So there's still hope." I get up from my seat seeing pictures along the mantel of the fireplace. As I walk by each one I keep seeing a baby girl either in a boys arms or in my parents and assume it's me. Picking up the picture I point at it in John's direction. He smiles and nods. "Yep that's them. And that's you with Peter." So he wasn't making that part up. I start getting teary eyed looking at the picture and wondering what could've been if they would've lived. I try to wipe at my eyes before they fall but it's no use.

"Um Alpha John, is there a bathroom I could use?" He gives me directions and I promise to be right back.

On my way down the hall I hear Peter's voice. He's talking with Michael.

"Everything will be fine. My dad is in there feeding her the same story I did. And once our warlock gets the potion done correctly this time she'll be mine."