Us

"Drive"  The driver nods and pulls into traffic. Rome sinks into his seat to relax, spreading his legs till the one closest to me touches my leg.  He rests his hand on my thigh, worming his fingers in between them. I look over and he has his head rested back with his eyes closed.

"Rome?" His thumb brushes back and forth on my thigh making everything tingle.

"Yes Babygirl?" he turns his head to look at me.  I don't say anything, choosing to look at my hands as they fiddle with my clutch.  "What's wrong?  Is it that ex boyfriend of yours?"

"A little about him. More about you. Us."  he lifts his head and turns his body to face me.

"Us?"  I look at him through my lashes and nod. Letting go of my leg he picks me up and pulls me into his lap, letting my legs hanging over his.  "What about us, little one?"

"I know you wanted to talk later."  He lifts my chin a bit with his fingertips so I'll look him in the eye.  I look up, and my shoulders deflate. "But I don't know if I can wait.  There's been a few things that have happened.  I thought it was me imagining things.  But then right before we got in the car I heard your voice in my head again and now I know it's not my imagination.  Unless I'm going crazy?"  He arches a brow searching my eyes.

"What have you heard?"   Something in his gray orbs tells me he knows what I heard.

"In the elevator earlier when you locked us in and kissed me.  I heard you in my head saying you loved me."  His eyes widened for a split second.  If I wasn't looking at him I would've missed it.  I guess he didn't know I could hear him.  "And just now I heard you tell me to keep walking."  He picks me up, making me straddle him. I try to catch my dress as it lifts up my thighs worse than in the elevator.  I look up to see him smirking.  His arms wrap around my waist pulling me closer to him, like he's afraid I'll try to get away.

"What exactly do you want to know about us?"  I wrap my hands around the back of his neck, and my fingers play with his little baby hairs that he has shaved shorter under his man bun.  I look up at him, not even sure of what I'm asking him.  I shrug my shoulders.

"I don't know.  I'm confused.  You're my boss, yet you don't treat me that way.  I don't know if I have my job because you like me, or if it's because you actually believe I can be good at it?  And then feeling things, and hearing things.  How can it even be possible?  Those things don't happen.  It's stuff from story books.  Even how I thought I saw you in my bedroom last night.  Like that's crazy!  You couldn't climb down to my balcony and then back up to your's."  He breaks our eye contact, pulling me closer still.  Our chests flush to each other.

"What if I could?"  my head jerks back, and my brows pinch.  "What if it wasn't all just out of story books?  Would you leave me?"  He sheepishly looks up at me through his lashes.

"Leave you?  How could I leave you if you aren't mine to leave?"  his face changes from a look of worry, to one of knowing.

"Eva, I've been yours for a very long time.  I've just been waiting for you to become mine."  My mouth opens, and my eyes widen.

"How....how long have you been waiting?"  As freaked out as I am, a small smile grows on my face.  He looks down shyly tracing the edge of my dress that is over my breasts with his fingertip.  His touch causes tingles between my legs.  I clench my thigh muscles against his legs, making him smirk.

"Six years."  I grab his face in my hands. Searching his face to see if he's lying.  He chuckles at my shocked face.

"You were talking about me yesterday?" He nods his head in my hands.

"Yes baby girl.  I almost told you yesterday.  You looked so disappointed when I said I found the one a few years ago.  But I couldn't.  Not yet.  I needed you to feel it first."  I shake my head.

"I felt something the moment I was called for the interview.  I knew I had to come.  I just didn't know why."

"That wasn't enough my love.  You had to feel me, like you did this morning.  I knew you did.  I wanted you to say it out loud, so you would know it was real.   Though I didn't think you could hear me in your head already.  I would've tried harder to keep my thoughts to myself.  Please don't feel pressured to feel the same as me.  I've had a long time to fall in love with you."  As I open my mouth to say something the car comes to a stop. Looking out of the window I see another expensive restaurant.  I shift to get off of his lap, but he grabs my thighs to keep me in place.  "We could go home and eat."  He looks down between my legs and licks his lips.  My cheeks burn red as I shake my head. "Oh, alright."  He lets go of my legs,  allowing me to fix myself up.

The rest of lunch goes by quickly.  We eat and Rome pays quickly, getting us on our way back to the office.  When we pull up in front I see Jake is still there sitting outside.  I close my eyes and rest my head back frustrated.

"Do you wanna go up from the private elevator instead?"  I shake my head.

"No, I have to face him now or he'll just keep coming back."  he grabs my hand as he opens his door and pulls me out with him.  standing on the sidewalk, I'm about to walk away when he pulls me back wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I'll wait inside the lobby for you. okay?"  I nod and smile up at him.  I've never had anyone like him in my life.   No one has ever tried to protect me, or support me.  He kisses my lips before letting me go, following behind me.  Jake walks over to me looking pissed having seen the whole thing.  His eyes shoot daggers at Rome as he continued to walk past us to the building.

"Why are you still here Jake? "  He finally looks back at me once Rome is in the building.

"So you're fucking your boss now?"  I fist my hands at my sides.

"Just get out of here Jake.  You have no business here."  I step around him to go inside.

"I came here to bring you home. You don't belong here Eva.  You aren't a city girl."  I stop in my tracks, looking up I see Rome watching from behind the glass. Knowing I actually have someone who supports me emotionally makes me feel stronger. Instead of running away I turn back around. I look at Jake. For the first time see him for what he really is.  A jealous, bitter person, who only feels good when he's putting others down.

"No, Jake. You don't belong here. I don't mean here in the city either.  I mean here in my life." He takes a step closer, his face turning red.

"You can't make it without me Eva. You are going to crash and burn because you aren't good enough for this. So stop being stupid, and come home where you belong." I shake my head and look to the ground. How did I put up with this for so long?

"Jake, I'm already making it without you. You are the one who always caused me to crash and burn. You could never let me have anything good. I finally have a chance to make a real life for myself, and I won't let you ruin it for me." he chuckles, and shakes his head.

"Once your boss is tired of fucking you, you'll have nothing. Mark my words, it will happen.  When it does, don't come crying to me." Balling up my fist, I turn like I'm about to walk away.  He starts to smile and nod his head. It doesn't last long after I take a step forward. Pulling back my fist and with all my body weight behind it, I send it right into his jaw. I squeeze my eyes shut when the pain shoots through my hand, and when I open them; Jake is on the floor with his hand cupping his  face. I catch my breath and bend over, hovering above him.

"Talk to me like that again, and I'll break your fucking jaw next time." I hear footsteps running up behind me, before large hands come up around me. Rome takes my injured hand in his and examines it.

"Let's get some Ice on this Rocky, it's starting to swell." I look up expecting him to be mad at my foolishness. Instead he's smiling at me, and I giggle at his nickname.

"Yes sir."