Bå©k īⁿ Tímē

He's probably done and gone through this entire procedure a hundred times. Maybe more. He's lost count to honest.

Yet a more terrifying occurrence always happens before he restarts all over again. It could be that the Titans won, maybe Toby died an even awful(er) death, his teammates being ripped to threads, Douxie's screams that seem to always haunt his very visions.

And it hurts every time. On this particular do-over, here's one of the many thing's he does regularly: Particularly walking past the soon to be closed bookstore, the dyed blue hair wizard could be behind the desk or talking to a customer. He would even catch a glimpse of Archie, within cat form of course, sleeping or prowling around somewhere by the ancient dusty scrolls and historic books. Or as always standing on his familiar's shoulder.

But for this walk, he doesn't just glance over and spot the older. For a change, he enters the closing bookstore.

°

The bell signifies that a customer had entered as Jim steps in as the last person passes him and enters into the quiet midnight. Jim lets the chill and comfortable atmosphere engulf him as he stands looking at the variety of books, papers, scrolls and documents splayed about before a British voice interrupts, ''Just in time before closing, how may I to help you?''

Jim looks for the voice that is standing behind the desk, looking down at books in his hands as he walks around to help out the last customer for the day. The trollhunter watches intently as Douxie shuffles the books within his hand and stops in his tracks right ahead of him when he wasn't met with a response.

He sees when he looked up, hair barely covering his hazel eyes which hold confusion while Jim simply smiles at the very moment he gets to have. Though small but significant. Only now so, he can't show nor express how he's missed this very male in front of him. Though it felt so out of reach. And not even for a minute can the older understand the reason behind that genuine smile. A mystery perhaps?

As he slowly walks then full out runs into the others arms, he's mostly forgotten that Douxie doesn't remember a thing. So he soaks up the moment, wrapping gently, his arms around the other, taking in his normal scent. And all of his very hopes are crushed when Douxie slowly pushes Jim away from him, giving him an awkward chuckle as his British voice makes a second appearance for the night. ''Um... have we-''

Jim's heart sank. Why did he forget that Douxie didn't remember him? He had forgotten that this was the other timeline among many others, this was the Douxie that had not yet met Jim.

Maybe it's the hope that swells in his chest, the thought that maybe this timeline could be different, that if he tried harder he could finally have the strength to protect them all, to protect everyone. That he could make Douxie simply remember. And Douxie's warm familiar eyes give him the courage to do just that.

"Douxie, it's me, Jim," Jim said, trying keeps his voice calm, but he was beyond that, "We... we've met before. We're... close." The doubts were getting to him and that was as best as he could explain it.

"Sorry mate, but I don't know what you're talking about." The older shrugged scratching the nape of neck, looking a bit apologetic and embarrassed from the sudden embrace.

Jim sighed at this, and looked away before glancing back again.

"I'm sorry, Doux," his brow lifted at the nickname, but he didn't question it, "I forgot that... that we haven't met yet. My name is Jim lake Jr., and I'm a trollhunter. I've been on many, somewhat adventures, through time. And I've met many people, family really.... including you."