𝟏𝟏 | 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐎𝐟 𝐀 𝐒𝐮𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐯𝐨𝐫

❝ “𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙿𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞?”
“𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚜, ‘𝙹𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚋𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚎, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚖𝚎 𝚌𝚛𝚘𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚐.’”
“𝚈𝚎𝚜!”
“𝙱𝚞𝚝, 𝚊𝚕𝚊𝚜, 𝚑𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚘𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚖𝚎.” ❞
- 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐧, 𝐉.𝐌 𝐁𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞.

─────────〔❨✧✧❩〕─────────

Hae-Rin was leaning against a military car, head raised high as she watched the sky.

She was wearing some winter clothes with a big backpack on her back. A knitted hat sat atop her head, providing a barrier against the biting cold, while matching knitted gloves shielded her hands from the icy chill. In those glove-covered hands, she was holding a knife with a black hilt. The air and the day itself were cold, and every time she breathed, there was a puff of white smoke leaving her lips. The cold had painted her cheeks and nose a rosy pink hue, adding a touch of warmth to her otherwise chilly surroundings.

And there, just across the street, Hyun-Su was staring at Hae-Rin.

His heart beat fast.

He couldn't move, his body was frozen.

Seeing her standing there, his heart swelled with a mixture of relief and longing, grateful to see her after what felt like an eternity apart.

After visiting the stadium and never being able to see her, she was finally in front of him like a bright light.

The last time he saw her, Hae-Rin wore bandages and her face was puffy from crying, caked in dirt and ash. The last time he saw her, he had run away like a coward, unable to greet her with a hug.

She also seemed a bit different, changed. Not too much, of course.

As Hyun-Su observed her, he couldn't help but notice the sharp edges etched within her eyes, the unwavering stance she upheld, and the hollow echo resonating within her being. Despite her facade of strength, he noticed the weariness seeping through her facade, the ghostly pallor of exhaustion casting a shadow upon her face. Her eyes, once ablaze with energy, now bore the weight of sorrow, grief, and sadness. Although she stood tall, her spirit seemed adrift. It seemed tired, hollow, and grieving.

Hyun-Su had forgotten how easy she was to read, how easy it was to see the pain and exhaustion on her face.

He had gotten used to her happiness, to her warmth.