𝟐𝟔 | 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐬

❝ 𝚂𝚘, 𝚗𝚘𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚞𝚜, 𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚢
𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚗𝚊 𝚋𝚎
𝚂𝚘, 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝'𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚘 𝚞𝚜, 𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚢?
𝙶𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚠𝚎'𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚠𝚊𝚒𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚎𝚎. ❞
- 𝐄𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝, 𝐆𝐮𝐧𝐬 𝐍' 𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬.

─────────〔❨✧✧❩〕─────────
20th June

Hae-Rin awoke to the pale light of the flashlight she had left on the night before. The air, cold and heavy despite the summer blazing out of the tunnel, was filled with the lingering silence that followed days of mourning.

She sat up slowly, her body aching with exhaustion and a feeling of heaviness. Each movement felt like a hard effort, as if the weight of her sorrow was physically holding her down. For the past three days, Hae-Rin had been lying on her bed and staring up at the ceiling, tears gone and eyes dried. It was like she couldn't cry anymore after the day her father had died, it was like she had used all of what she had in her, all of what she had spent with him since they didn't know each other enough.

Eun-Yoo was already awake, sitting quietly on her bed across the tunnel. Her eyes met Hae-Rin's, and the taller of the two saw the concern and sympathy in them.

"Morning," Eun-Yoo said softly, breaking the silence.

"Morning," Hae-Rin replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "How did you sleep?"

"As usual, you?" Eun-Yoo asked carefully.

Hae-Rin simply shrugged.

She swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood, her movements slow and monotone.

Hae-Rin then began to search for clothes to wear, wanting to shower and wash away her dreamless sleep. In the meantime, she could hear Eun-Yoo's thinking as if she was speaking out loud and she could, of course, feel her eyes following Hae-Rin, but she didn't press, she never did. Ever since they had become friends, Eun-Yoo's way of comforting was something Hae-Rin didn't think would help until it actually did help, until she realised that all she needed was her best friend, her sister.

"Are you planning on joining me for a mission today?" Eun-Yoo finally asked just as Hae-Rin found her desired clothes. "Chef Ji came earlier and gave us a list. You don't have to come, of course-"

"Fucking bitch." Hae-Rin groaned, turning to look at Eun-Yoo. "She's such a- ugh. I fucking hate her."

"I don't think she has any emotions after her husband's death." Eun-Yoo commented.

"I wonder if I have any left," Hae-Rin mumbled.

Eun-Yoo's expression softened.

Hae-Rin watched as she stood up and joined her on the opposite side of the tunnel, stopping in front of her.