News

Three years later

I stood in front of the road taking in the air of my hometown. I just landed and was waiting for the taxi driver to put my luggage in the taxi. I got in the taxi and we went towards where my mother lived. I wasn't ever planning to step into the country but over the last few months, my mother's health was deteriorating. I had to come back. For her. My only family.

My mother was in the front yard when I reached home. She was sitting on the chair. She looked so old with grey hair and wrinkles. When I greeted her and stood in front of her I realised a few hairs on her eyebrows and eyelashes had gone grey as well.

"Welcome back," she said.

I could tell she looked happy to see me as I was.

"And cute," she whispered looking at my hair.

I had my hair cut into a cute pixie. Over the years I have changed a lot, physically and mentally. I was a lot stronger than I was.

"I guess you don't like it?"

"You look cute," she said.

My mother wasn't a fan of short hair. She always kept her hair long and suggested I keep it long as well. But I wasn't much of a fan. Once we were inside I freshened up and sat with her looking at her. She had prepared some snacks for me which I kindly ate without wasting time. I had missed the food made by her.

"I thought you weren't coming back," she said.

"I had always mentioned that If you need me I would be back here in the blink of an eye,"

She nodded looking outside the window.

"I have been diagnosed with lung cancer," she whispered.

"What? when?"

"Right after you left,"

I quickly got up and went near her.

"Four years...."I was shocked.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

She turned around and looked at me.

"I didn't want to ruin it for you,"

"Ruin? What are you talking about?"

"Is it curable?"

She went silent.

"How did it happen? You never drank or smoked,"

She didn't meet my eyes.

"Did you?"

She nodded.

Holy shit.

"After you went to Kathmandu...I..."

"I will find the best doctor. We will go to Kathmandu tomorrow, "I cut her off. I did it so she didn't have to explain it to me.

She shook her head.

"I don't have much time. Maybe a few months," she whispered.

I was frozen to the ground. My mouth sat agape. Tears started to form in my eyes but somehow I managed to keep it inside.

"Why did you never tell me?" I whispered.

"I thought it was nothing. Just chest pain and then they told me It was cancer,"

I couldn't imagine how she managed to live alone with all the pain. She had few friends she could count on but I had to be here with her. I sat on the chair and we both sat quietly for some time. Time and again I tried to speak but nothing came out. I was going to lose my mother.