Come Closer

I handed the empty glass to Mausam after drinking water.

"Tell me everything," I pleaded. "Everything that happened after I was gone,"

"It was Alan who had managed tickets so you could leave,"

I opened my mouth then closed.

"He begged me to send you to New Zealand,"

"Why would he do that?"

She shrugged.

"He was in the airport as well when you were leaving,"

That's why I had sensed him there.

"Alan left this place after you flew away," Mausam went on. "He left everything when Rekha refused to divorce him. He cut off contact with everyone for Three years and then seven months before you were here he got into a road accident,"

She paused looking at me.

"Drunk driving,"

I nodded for her to continue.

"Nimek rushed to him as soon as he got the news to know that his legs were......" she stopped.

Paralyzed

"Doctors announced he could never walk again,"

Tears rolled down my cheeks. Mausam placed her hand on mine.

"He refused to go to therapy. He wanted to go to Switzerland instead so he could end his life which we couldn't allow. Nimek forced him at times to go for a check-up taking your name. Everything changed when he saw you in the hospital that day,"

"He started taking therapy after that. You gave him hope. We have seen a great amount of change since then. Doctors are hopeful he will get on his feet soon,"

I gave him hope.

"Alan haven't been with Rekha since I left?"

"No," It was Nimek. He was standing at the door.

"He isn't married anymore as he spent more than three years without contacting her,"

That is what the law said.

"Why would he do that?"

He sighed.

"Alan's family was at a huge loss. Rekha's parents came forward with a proposal. Their marriage was a kind of contract marriage. They save the business, he marries her. He kept it secret til he was sure he wanted to be with her. He tried his best in the marriage but gave up after she was found with another man,"

Nimek started to run his hand through his hair.

"You came into his life and he started to ask for divorce which she refused," Nimek looked at me. "It was the first time in two years that I saw him smile in that interview,"

"You gave him his smile back. You gave him his happiness back,"

"He needs you. More than anything. As his friend I beg you to stay," he said walking out of the room. 

"Rekha manages the business. She controls the company. Nimek stayed there so he could keep an eye on her," Mausam answered my question without me asking it. "She has been with several men after Alan left. Just to let you know whatever anyone says, in Alan's life you were never the other woman or a second choice,"

I opened my mouth to stop her but she went on.

"You were his only choice,"

I nodded