Shit

A few days after that incident Nimek came to the house with the News that they had announced the marriage. He showed me the invitation card.

"We are all invited. It's next week,"

I didn't bother to speak or look at the card. My heart was already in pieces; now hearing this, it turned into nothing but sand.

He left when none of us spoke.

"I can't believe this," Mausam said.

"Maybe it's my fault. I should have married him the day he asked me. I kept saying no when he kept asking me," I shook my head.

"It's not your fault,"

"If he walked in today and asked me..." I paused. "I would be his," I said more to myself.

"You already are,"

"Don't you get it, Mausam? I need marriage to be his. Without it I am nothing but a slut, a whore, the other woman....name them," I gritted my teeth.

"He won't marry her. He wouldn't," She whispered.

How I wished I could believe her but I needed to be strong. For once I was forcing myself to trust Alan. I needed to.

Nimek returned to tell us that they were throwing a party at night to make it official.

"His mother would be there," he said.

"I don't have the energy to attend it,"

"If you take my suggestion Dakshina then just stop sitting here being broken. Get up and keep an eye on them. Help him get back," Nimek said.

"I don't know what to do anymore,"

"Do what your heart is saying. If it's telling you to leave then leave and if it's telling you to try a little harder then do it,"

By 8 p.m. we were ready to leave.

"You look stunning," Mausam said when she saw me in a light grey backless dress.

Nimek gave me a nod.

"You both look good as well," I smiled looking at their outfit. They were dressed in a mint green colour.

"We thought of a match...."

"Perfect," I said with a breaking heart.

If Alan were here we would do the same.

We got out of the car and looked at the house in front of me. It was huge. Hundreds of people could live in a place like this. Huge garden block by a huge gate and then there's the house.

"It's his Mother's house," Nimek said. I didn't utter a word.

"Stay close," Mausam whispered to which I nodded.

Many people were already in the house drinking and chatting. Most of them looked like foreigners. Some kind of foreign music was being played. We stayed at the corner and I searched for him. Seeing me Nimek mentioned that they would only come out once the marriage is announced.

A woman in her 50s walked to the top of the stairs standing in front of us. Two men in black stood behind her.

"I would like to welcome everyone to the party," she said looking around. Her eyes landed on me and for a second, I believed I saw her smirk.

"Who is she?" I said not taking my eyes off her.

"Namrata Adhikari. His mother," he whispered. "Never walks alone. Always with her guards,"

The woman looked like a model. She dressed like a model and walked like one.

"Don't go on her pretty face. That woman is vile,"