31

Minnie
3:27 AM

We must've fallen asleep because now the sky is dark and not from the rain. The moonlight shines through his blue curtains onto the floor next to me. I roll over in his bed to look at him but I'm met with an empty spot on his side.

I quickly sit up and look around the room. Where did he go? I throw my feet over the side of the bed and make my way to the hallway. Faint voices are coming from the living room.

I make my way to the end of the hallway when I hear my name causing me to stop in my tracks.

"Minnie's here now," Oscar's voice is tired and low.

"What difference does that make?" an unfamiliar, male voice replies to him.

"That makes all the difference," Oscar scoffs.

"YOU," the voice's tone gets harsher "Set this up."

"So the fuck what? There's no need to do that shit now she's BACK."

There's a moment of silence before the voice starts to speak again, "And so now what are we supposed to do Spook? You're about to start a gang war over some bitch you dated in high school."

A loud thump hits the wall causing me to cover my mouth so I don't make any noise. "Don't call her a bitch," Oscar's voice is harsh "Get the fuck out. I said I'll handle it."

There's a loud gasp and then I hear Oscar's footsteps walking toward the hallway so I rush over to the bathroom and shut the door behind me.

A soft knock on the door followed by the slamming of the front door startles me. I did not miss Santos.

"Minnie?" Oscar's voice is on the other side of the door.

"Yes?" my voice is hoarse since I haven't spoken yet. I clear my throat then open the door slightly to look at him.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I nod, " I just had to use the bathroom."

"Was somebody just here?" I ask as I look behind him and then back to his face.

"Did you hear anything?" he asks instead of answering my question.

"No," I lie, "I heard the front door slam."

"It was just Santos."

I nod and watch his face for a sign of... anything.

"What?" His brows squish together.

"Nothing," I shake my head and gesture behind me "Can I pee?"

His face goes from blank to realization and I watch as he goes back to the room. Who was he talking to? Why were they talking about me and what did he set up? A gang war? I'm not used to him being so sneaky and I'm not used to being part of the reason.

I shut the door and turned to look around the bathroom. I don't even have to go the bathroom but I guess I have to make it look believable.