15

1 month in Brentwood

"You guys are coming right?" I say into my phone.

"Yea most definitely," Manny says back.

-

"We can't make it but we'll come up tomorrow," Victor says from the other line.

"Oh ok," I reply "that's fine as long as I get to see you guys."

2 months in Brentwood

"We can't come this weekend we got Santos stuff to take care of," Manny says on the other line.

"Oh... Next weekend?"

"Uh... Maybe, Hey I gotta go." He hangs up.

5 months in Brentwood

"You have reached the voicemail box of-" I hang the phone up and sigh looking out my window.
Something happened with one of the guys after they came to visit.. They haven't really been answering my texts.. or calls.

7 months in Brentwood

"nobody's been answering my calls," I pick at my fingernails.

"Cesar said that Spooky has kept all his men busy lately. I think there's going to be a gang war soon," Monse says.

"How is Cesar? he hasn't visited in a while. or called..." I slowly stop.

"He's okay... he misses you if that's what you're wondering but he's busy with schoolwork, you know?"

1 year in Brentwood

"message error? what the fuck is this?" I throw my phone down onto my bed. My mom just got diagnosed with spine cancer. Said there's not much they can do cause it's already started to spread. Nobody's answering my calls...

2 years in Brentwood

"Off to work mom?"

"yea baby," she comes over to me and kisses my head "double shift so don't stay up for me."

3 years in Brentwood

My mom's eyes are swollen from crying for so long. She'd been fired from her position at Brentwood General Hospital. They've been looking for a reason to fire my mother for months ever since she got sick. It's appalling.

"It's okay mom," I rub her back as I hold her.

"We can't afford this place, Minnie," she sobs into my shoulder "I don't know what we're going to do."

"We could go back to Freeridge right?"I say and she looks up at me still crying.

"I lost the house," my mother had to take a second mortgage out on the house or something like that. I should've known we'd lose it. With all of mom's medical bills, we were out of options.

"we'll find a place mom don't worry."

-
End of Chapter