Chapter 14

Dex and Fitz didn't really talk when Fitz got back. Thankfully after a few moments of sitting in silence and Dex keeping his composure, Juline had entered the room with a tray of mallowmelt.

So right now, the two of them were on the floor, eating mallowmelt in silence.

"Erm, so when do you want to go to bed?" Fitz asked, looking at Dex.
Dex shrugged, taking a bite out of the piece of mallowmelt he had in his hand.
"After we eat this?" Dex looked at Fitz. "My parents probably have went to bed already since the triplets went to bed not long ago."
Fitz hummed. "Okay."

Another deafening silence overcame them.

Dex didn't like the silence. He already felt like shit. His eyes were all puffy and he really just... he didn't know what he wanted to do, but he wanted to do something to make him feel better.

Fitz didn't really want to ask Dex what was wrong. If Dex wanted to talk about it, then Fitz trusted that Dex would talk to him. Though Fitz couldn't help but worry. He wasn't quite sure why Dex broke down into tears like that, but... Fitz felt bad. He felt bad as soon as he told Dex to never say 'I love Fitz' or anything related to Dex loving him.

I mean... Fitz wasn't sure how he felt when he heard Dex say that. His brain literally broke when Dex said those words. He was confused on his surroundings and what was happening and his heart was racing a lot when he heard Dex say it. That couldn't have been a good sign, right?

"I... I think I'm gonna sleep now, actually." Dex said, shaking his head as he set the half-eaten bit of mallowmelt back onto the tray.
Fitz frowned as he watched Dex get up and go over to his bed.
"I'll sleep then too-" Fitz began.
"If you want to stay up, stay up, Fitz. I don't mind." Dex mumbled.
Dex had gotten under the covers of his bed and he seemed to have curled up in a ball.

Fitz let out a soft sigh and he set down the piece of mallowmelt he was eating on the tray too. Fitz then got up, picking up the tray of mallowmelt, and headed towards the desk. Fitz gently moved aside the rose that was on Dex's desk to place the tray of mallowmelt on there. Fitz turned around and he looked at Dex who was curled up in his bed.

Fitz made his way over and he sat down beside Dex. Dex was laying on his side, facing the other way. Fitz gently brought his hand to Dex's hair and pushed aside a few strands.
"I'm not angry or upset that you said that you loved me to Lex." Fitz said softly.
"I just... saying things like that will... will make the fake break-up harder for our families. Especially since most of them are already so fond of the idea of us being together."
Dex listened quietly and he turned around, laying on his back and looking up at Fitz.

"I'm sorry." Dex whispered.
Fitz furrowed his eyebrows, gently running his fingers through Dex's hair.
"Don't be sorry. Don't be sorry..." Fitz shook his head, his tone of voice caring and gentle.
Dex felt his eyes well up and he sat up, causing Fitz to take his hands away from Dex.

Fitz noticed how Dex's eyes welled up and Fitz frowned.
"What is it?" Fitz asked.
"Nothing... Sorry, I just... thank you." Dex mumbled, fiddling with his hands.
"I needed... I needed to hear you say that. My worries got to my head."
Fitz shuffled closer and he pressed his forehead against Dex's.

Dex bit his inner cheek. If he and Fitz weren't fake dating, or if Fitz had any mutual feelings towards Dex, this would be the perfect moment for an 'I love you', but... Dex knew better than that. Fitz wouldn't say it. Not at this moment. Not ever.

"See, we got interrupted earlier..." Fitz whispered softly.
"So, if you want to...?"
Fitz looked into Dex's eyes. Dex met Fitz's gaze and he thought about it for a few moments.