Chapter 17

Dex felt like a fool.

He was in his bed, staring at the ceiling. He kept thinking about what he said to Fitz earlier and he felt a lot of embarrassment and anxiety when he thought about it. I mean, did it sound like Dex liked being 'friends with benefits'/fake boyfriends?? Then Fitz would obviously know of Dex's feelings towards him.

The two of them hadn't talked at all ever since lunch. They haven't had the time to either, since they don't see each other often at Foxfire and once the day is over, they just go home.

Dex's imparter went off and Dex sighed as he sat up, digging his imparter out of his pocket. Dex saw Fitz was hailing him. Dex hesitated.
Dex bit his lower lip and he accepted the hail. A moment passed and the image of Fitz had appeared.

"Hi." Dex mumbled, running his fingers through his hair, making sure it wasn't super messy.
"Hey." Fitz said, his voice soft.
They both stayed silent for a few moments, looking at each other.

"You're my boyfriend, Dex." Fitz stated.
"Fake boy-" Dex began.
"Please, Dex..." Fitz frowned at the male.
Dex stayed silent, looking at Fitz.

Fitz let out a soft sigh.
"Can-Can I come over to talk to you? It feels weird, not being able to talk about this in person." Fitz said.
"How about I come over to Everglen?" Dex asked. "The triplets will definitely bother you, and I don't want my parents to check in on us, like, every 10 minutes."

Fitz seemed to smile and he nodded.
"Yeah, yeah. See you in a few minutes?" Fitz asked.
"See you in a few minutes." Dex said quietly, nodding.

*****

Dex was at Everglen, outside of the house, waiting for Fitz to come and get him.

Dex was extremely nervous. He didn't know what Fitz wanted to talk about. Maybe he was going to end this whole fake relationship.

Dex instantly looked up as the door opened and Fitz stepped out. He had his cape on and Dex furrowed his eyebrows.
"Where are you going?" Dex questioned.
Fitz smiled at Dex as he shut the door.
"I was just thinking we could walk around the lake." Fitz said.

Fitz held his hand out, looking at Dex.
Dex felt a little suspicious but he took Fitz's hand. Fitz interlocked their fingers and he began to lead the way towards where the lake was.
"Are you doing this just to make it seem like we're super in love to your parents or something-?" Dex began.
"My parents are in the house, doing their own thing. They don't know that you're over here." Fitz said, looking at Dex.

"Does... Biana know I'm here?" Dex asked.
"Not sure. She could've overheard you were coming over." Fitz shrugged. "Why?"
Dex glanced around their surroundings, having a sudden feeling that Biana could be lurking around.
"No reason..." Dex mumbled.
Dex leaned himself against Fitz as they walked alongside each other, making it to the lake.

Dex looked at the beautiful, sparkling, clear water and Fitz looked to Dex.
"You wanna sit or just walk about?" Fitz asked.
"Walking around doesn't sound so bad." Dex said, looking up at Fitz.
They held eye contact for a few moments and Fitz gently squeezed Dex's hand.
"Alright." Fitz smiled softly.

Dex stopped leaning against Fitz as they now walked around the lake. Dex kept his gaze on the beauty of the lake and Fitz kept his gaze on Dex.

"You wanted to talk." Dex said, glancing at Fitz.
"Straight to it, huh?" Fitz tilted his head at Dex.
"I told my parents I'd be back within an hour or so." Dex said. "And... I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not in a very... happy mood."
Fitz hummed quietly.