Chapter 29

Dex scrunched up his face as he opened his eyes, waking up in the arms of Fitz Vacker. Dex looked up at Fitz, who was still asleep. Dex felt himself smile as he recalled what happened last night.

Dex basically confessed to Fitz, Fitz reciprocated those feelings, and they were going to go on a date soon. They would become a real couple soon.

Dex studied Fitz's face. He looked at peace. Dex gently brought a hand up to Fitz's hair as it was a little messy. Dex ran his fingers through Fitz's hair, slicking it back. Fitz seemed to stir and Dex smiled as he rested his hand against Fitz's cheek. Fitz's eyes opened and he looked down to see Dex was awake. Fitz smiled as he tilted his head to the side, leaning against Dex's palm.

"Good morning." Fitz whispered, taking a hand away from around Dex and resting it over Dex's hand on his cheek.
Fitz placed a gentle kiss on Dex's palm and Dex couldn't stop himself from smiling.
"Good morning." Dex said softly, keeping his eyes on Fitz.

Fitz looked back at Dex and smiled as he took Dex's hand away from his cheek and held it in his hand.
"Were you awake for long?" Fitz asked.
"Nah, I woke up a couple of moments ago." Dex shook his head slightly.
"Mmh..." Fitz hummed, nodding slightly.

"What time is it?"
Dex glanced over his shoulder, looking at the clock by his bed.
"8:30am." Dex stated, looking back at Fitz.
"Eugh, too early." Fitz grumbled, shutting his eyes.

Dex smiled and he reached up, placing a peck on Fitz's lips. Fitz opened his eyes again and he grinned at Dex.
"Now what was that for?" Fitz tilted his head.
"To keep you awake!" Dex exclaimed.
Fitz couldn't stop smiling.
"You're adorable." Fitz said softly as he pressed his forehead against Dex's.

Dex pressed the tips of their noses together instead and they held eye contact.
"I've waited for such a long time to... be with you like this." Dex said in a hushed tone.
"Have you now?" Fitz raised an eyebrow. "How long?"
Dex's cheeks turned red.
"I refuse to answer that." Dex stated.
"Oh come on, how long?" Fitz smiled.

Dex stayed silent for a few moments.
"... A year or so." Dex answered.
Fitz raised his eyebrows.
"And I've never noticed?" Fitz questioned.
"Well, you did have a thing with Sophie and were sort of obsessed with the fact you two were cognates and... you sort of hated me?" Dex smiled at Fitz.

"I didn't hate you." Fitz raised his eyebrows.
"But you didn't really like me." Dex retorted.
"... Well, all that matters is that I love you now." Fitz said softly. "And... I don't think that'll ever change."
Fitz stared into Dex's eyes and Dex bit his inner cheek.

"Even if we aren't seen as... a 'perfect' match?" Dex questioned. "I mean, you've always been obsessed with your perfect matches as well as-"
"Dex." Fitz cut Dex off. "You are all that matters to me now. Okay?"
Fitz leaned in, their lips nearly touching.
"You're the only thing that matters to me, someone who I'll love for a very long time."

"Is this the sort of Vacker charm I should expect on our date?" Dex grinned at Fitz.
"Oh, it is." Fitz smiled back at Dex.
"... God, I'm just gonna fall for you even more." Dex whined.
"Is that a bad thing-?" Fitz began.
"Oh, it's a good thing." Dex said before he leaned in to close the gap between his and Fitz's lips.
Fitz kissed Dex back. The kiss only lasted a few moments before Dex pulled away and scrunched up his nose.

"Maybe no kissing in the morning." Dex grimaced slightly.
"... Are you telling me my breath stinks?" Fitz raised his eyebrows.
"You said it, I didn't!" Dex exclaimed, looking at Fitz as if he were innocent.
Fitz rolled his eyes and he pecked Dex's lips, which then led to Dex making fake gagging noises.

"I don't appreciate this act."
"It's not an act, go brush your teeth."
"Maybe I don't love you?"

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 695