Chapter Twenty-Three: Grieving Over Cait!

Ari is shown heading to his sniper nest waiting before watching the team waiting for the opportunity to shoot. He clips Rose in the shoulder from his first shot and growls angrily when she and Tim move out of his range. Tim and Rose keep ducking and hiding from his range from being shot at by a terrorist in the window about them. He aims for Gibbs and the others on the roof of the building and he decides to shoot Cait instead of Gibbs.

"Sorry, Caitlyn." Ari says before packing up and leaving.

The team is shown behind the title of NCIS: Boss's Daughter. Gibbs is then shown walking as he was about to pull out his NCIS ID from his front pocket before he's shown with a camera and then firing his gun. Rose is shown with her gun drawn and she narrows her eyes at the suspect as she was talking him down. Tony is shown jumping around before he's shown smiling and laughing. Light flickers and Abby is shown looking at something with Ducky before she's shown carrying a tray with a babydoll head on it. Light flashes and Tim is shown walking into Abby's lab, making a confused look at Tony, and then looking around the wall towards Rose and Gibbs. The title flashes doing the N-C-I-S one letter at time before Boss's Daughter appears under it. Light flickers and Ducky is shown examining a body with a weapon, smiling before he's shown waving a sword around. Finally, Gibbs is shown pulling a body out of the drawer in Autopsy and Ducky takes a picture causing lights to flash to the title again.

[Autopsy - Later That Night]

The elevator door is heard before the autopsy door opens with a hiss. Ducky walks into the room and takes off his jacket and hat before he walks over and turns the light on over Cait's body bag. He opens the bag before taking a deep sad breath. He tries to stop tears from coming to his eyes, but ends up crying anyway.

"Oh, Caitlyn." Ducky says, "I am so sorry."

[Upstairs - Gibbs' Bullpen]

All was silent. Gibbs sat at his desk staring at Cait's. He thinks back to all that he has lost and gained in his life as he was at that time when thoughts like that happens. He thinks about Cait as if she was standing right beside him still.

'Why me, Gibbs?' Cait asks, 'Wasn't stopping one bullet enough for you? Why did I hate to take two?!'

"I... I don't know." Gibbs says.

'You don't know? Come on, Gibbs... What's that famous gut tell you? Why did I die instead of you?!' Cait asks before the elevator dings signaling its arrival on the floor. It also brought Gibbs out of his thoughts and mental torment.

"We found Ari's sniper nest. He didn't police his brass, boss." Tony says.

"Roof of an abandoned office building to the east." Tim adds. Gibbs looks at the shells and then over at Rose as she walks into the bullpen.

"You should be in the hospital." Gibbs explains.

"So he can try again? I think not." Rose says.

"How's your shoulder, sweetie?" Gibbs asks.

"Dad, I'm fine." Rose says and holds up the evidence bag, "I got the bullet as a lovely souvenir. I was hoping Abby could have a look at it."

"Well, it's a Lapua." Tim tells her.

"Yeah, I know." Rose says.

"How did you–?" Tim asks.

"Rose was the top of her law enforcement class for being a skilled sniper. If we needed snipers, she'd be our best." Gibbs says.

"Only comes from having a father who was a Marine sniper." Rose explains.

"Yeah. Tony, Tim, get into some dry clothes. Rosie, do you need your bandage changed? Did they stop the bleeding?" Gibbs asks. Rose's eyes widen and slightly fill with tears.