Chapter Thirty-Eight: Cover Story!

[Later]

Gibbs and Tony go to get the book and then Ziva and Tony read the book. Rose sat back in her chair looking at the two of them.

"Done." Tony states.

"And?" Tim asks.

"I'm confused." Tony replies.

"It's not a critique, Tony." Rose states.

"We're trying to find something useful... Confused by what?" Tim asks.

"The plot, the back story, pretty much everything. The whole thing doesn't make sense." Tony states.

"Ziva, what about you?" Tim asks.

"Um... well, not as confused as Tony." Ziva explains.

"Well, I haven't finished it yet." Tim defends, "It's just a rough draft."

"Very rough." Ziva comments and Tim looks at her, "I'm sorry, McGee."

"Who's the killer anyway?" Tony asks.

"I don't know yet." Tim says.

"There's your problem. I mean, yeah, you always have to know where your story is going. That's Fiction Writing 101." Tony explains.

"Not the way I choose to write, Tony." Tim responds.

"And he wonders why he has writer's block." Tony teases.

"Can we focus on the problem here? We've got a missing person and our only lead is my book." Tim states.

"Well, that's not much of a lead." Ziva says.

"She's right. We don't even know how the book factors in." Tony states.

"We do now. The letters were written by the same person. He thinks the book is real." Gibbs explains walking into the bullpen and sits at his desk.

"And believes Petty Officer Cove is a part of it." Ziva comments.

"It means we're going to have to go everywhere he's been." Gibbs states.

"Well, we've already done that, though." Tim says, "His home, work, hangout spots."

"I'm not talking about Petty Officer Cove. I'm talking about your good old boy - with the pickup truck. Cameron Meyer." Gibbs states.

[Later the Next Morning - Hide Side Creek Park]

"Hide Side Creek, where Cameron goes to clear his head." Ziva comments.

"Thematically, this place is very important, boss." Tim states.

"You've been saying the same thing all morning, McGee." Tony says.

"Spread out." Gibbs orders. They spread out and Rose sticks with Tim.

"Why would Cameron come to a picnic area to think?" Tony asks.

"In his book, it's not a picnic area. It's his favorite fishing hole." Ziva explains.

"Thank you, Ziva." Tim says.

"Don't you think it's kind of a cliche to have your character alone, staring into the serene wilderness?" Tony asks.

"No. If it was, I wouldn't have written it, Tony." Tim responds.

"I mean, knowing Cameron, if he was bummed out, wouldn't he just go to the Wing Shack with his buddies, and toss back a few brews?" Tony asks.

"Or talk to a priest?" Ziva suggests, "Don't forget that he's very religious, now that his father died."