Chapter Forty-Three: Identity Crisis!

[Later - Abby's Lab]

"This is why I love you guys. You bring me hair... you bring me blood, you bring me fluids, and mercury. Predictable yet constantly surprising." Abby exclaims.

"We try." Gibbs says.

"Of course, mercury is toxic, so you shouldn't let kids break open thermometers and play with it." Abby rambles.

"Speaking from personal experience, Abbs?" Gibbs asks.

"Actually explains a lot." Tim mutters.

"You want it, but it kills you." Abby explains, "It's like a metaphor. It's a cigarette."

"Or chocolate for dogs." Rose states.

"By the way, I like the dachshund for you." Abby tells Tim, "You could name him Mercury."

"This mercury, Abby." Gibbs states.

"Industrial grade, commonly used in heavy machinery, although it's fallen out of favor because of the fear factor." Abby explains.

"A lot of it's being dropped on developing nations like India." Tim adds.

"Where exporting slash dumping has become a major revenue stream." Rose mentions.

"Anyways, um, this is what killed our painted man. Speaking of which... I've seen a lot of great skin art done with a ballpoint pen and a needle. Like this and this." Abby explains and shows them.

"Very nice." Tim explains.

"But this guy's tattoo, it's - it's a mess. The symbols are gibberish, the patterns haphazard. It's a puzzle. It puzzles me, Gibbs." Abby explains, "I'm determined to solve it."

"Hair samples?" Gibbs asks.

"Not nearly as interesting. Six different women." Abby explains.

"Hinton had a lot of girlfriends." Tim adds.

"One's a bleach blonde. One's auburn from a bottle. If you want to know anything else you have to find me something to match it against." Abby explains. Rose and Tim separate from Gibbs and head upstairs to the bullpen. They walk in as Tony and Courtney are heading out.

"Hey, so I've been thinking about the murder." Tim begins, "Why kill him that way? I mean, an injection into the brain - definitely not the most common method."

"To find out why, you must ask who." Ziva explains, "Someone tidy. Someone who doesn't like messes."

"You have a theory?" Tim asks.

"Someone who needs to be in constant control of the situation. Some who does not like to lose control of their emotions." Ziva says as Rose was standing by Tony's desk thinking about going into Courtney's bag. Ziva actually does though. She comes over to Tony's desk and starts going through Courtney's bag.

"Ziva, what are you doing?" Tim asks.

"What Rose has been wanting to do. Go through Courtney's bag." Ziva explains.

"I don't trust her." Rose explains.

"Uh, I'm not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure what you're doing now is a violation of the code." Tim explains.

"It is not against the law." Ziva says.

"The woman's code." Tim responds.

"Ah. McGee, I bet you if we take a strand of her hair, it will match the sample from Hinton's condo." Ziva explains, checking Courtney's hairbrush.

"Well, of course it would. She's already said she's been there every week." Tim explains.

"This woman is uptight. Not even a single strand." Ziva comments.