Chapter 17: An awkward situation

25th  September 1998

                                                                                         Harry's P.O.V

Another week few by in the blink of an eye. The recruits were improving day by day Grayce most of all. She will be a great addition to the team once she because a full Auror. One thing that impressed me the most was that Ron and I have been looking into a case for a while now and we just could not figure out how the pieces to the puzzle fit together. When Grayce asked to view the case, Ron and I agreed but did not expect her to find anything we didn't, but we should not have overlooked her as she is a Ravenclaw. It took her less then 2 hours to put the puzzle together and we had everything we needed to take action.

This in particular case was about a less then known Death Eater that was in high ranks in Tom Riddles Army. The reason why they are so unknown was because they are a metamorphmagus, like Tonks and Teddy, and no one really knows their real name is or what they really looks like. Ther are multiple files of who we think is the suspect in question but they each have a different name, face and Gender identity but one thing that all the faces have in common is a snake tattoo on the neck. It is not a dark mark, but it is a snake coiled up and poised to strike. This worries Ron and I as even though I hate to even say this, but they could be anyone in the ministry even one of the recruits, even Grayce her self.

Ron and I dismiss Grayce for her lunch and we talk about the new information we have just discovered. After a lengthy conversation we decide to comb through the new recruits and see if any of them have a snake tattoo on their neck that matches to start. We called all Recruits into the training center the only one who didn't show was Grayce, but we had sent her to lunch so it was not strange.

We had the Recruits stand at attention in the guise of a surprise uniform inspection. The recruits are required to ware their uniform while training so it easier to tell them apart from the Aurors. Ron and I walked threw the rows as we normally would but paid special attention to their necks looking for the tattoo. 

After finding no tattoo on any of the trainees we released them back to there work, and Ron and I went back to our Office. I enlarged my office for the time being so that Ron, Grayce and I could work in there for efficiently. Once we returned we saw Grayce also in the office sitting at her desk. Grayce was wearing a polo' neck jumper under her uniform nothing we frown upon as long it looked professional and clean which hers always did. I looked and Ron and said "now that I'm thinking about it she always wears a polo' neck to work not always jumpers though but ever since her 1st day she wore a polo' neck." Ron now thinking the same way as me agrees and we make are way over to her. "Grayce we would like to talk to you if you please" I say as I motion over to my desk, not trying to act suspicious. She complies and we make are way to the desk and take our seats. 

"So, Grayce we just wanted to ask a few questions about how you're feeling here and just get to know you better" I say, to which she just smiles and says she understands. I really hope it's not her and as much as I said I would not have favorites she is easily my favorite recruit. I think to my self. "So, how do you like the Auror office so far and the training" I ask friendly. "I really like it here everyone and nice and helpful and is always willing to give sound advice. The training is interesting and even though we are not getting the normal training we would normally get I still fell like I'm learning a lot and improving in my skills both physically and mentally." she says enthusiastically. "That's good we're glad to hear it. Now if there was one thing you could change about the training what would it be?" I ask. She does not reply right away she seems like she is thinking hard for an answer. After a little while she replies. "I think we should learn more about muggle laws that way if we are ever in the muggle world doing operations, we know the laws there as well." I had to admit that was a very good idea that never crossed my mind. We do often time conduct field ops in the muggle world so that would be very useful to learn. "That a very good idea Grayce thank you for your input." I say grateful. "Ok now about you. Ron and I have noticed you always ware polo' necks under your uniform not there is a problem with that. we were just wondering if there was a reason." I ask. her eyes widen and I feel my stomach drop, realizing she is trying to hide something. "Oh it nothing I just always were polo' necks ever since I was about 9 years old." She explains somewhat nervously and starts to squirm in her seat. I glance at Ron and he has the same look as me leading me to assume he is thinking the same as me. I clear my throat and begin to talk again after thinking of a quick excuse. "Well I was looking at your recruit file and noticed that we did not get any birthmark or tattoo information from you and was wondering without going to the infirmary to get a look over if you would like to share with us any tattoos, birthmarks or scares you might have." She does not meet our eyes and starts looking around the room then shakes her head indicating she does have any. "I look at Ron and seems on edge as am I but I procced gently. "Would you mind rolling up your sleeves as high as you can?" I ask. She does as I ask and rolls her sleeves up. I nonverbally cast a reveling charm which reveals multiple cuts and scares but no dark mark. When she sees that I can see her scars she quickly rolls down her sleeves and looks ashamed. "Where did those come from, and why didn't you tell the truth?" I ask firmly "They were from a long time ago honestly I had kinda forgotten about them." She says. This time it was Ron turn to speak. "Forgotten about them!? How do you forget about all those scares?" Ron askes incredulously. Grayce stays silent. "Ok next you neck please roll down your polo' neck so we can see and don't use any concealing charms as it will not work" I ask some of my initial suspicion abated only to be replaced by a different suspicion. Grayce looks at me with terror in her face pleading that I not make her do it but my face remains stern and resolute. She hangs her head and starts to roll her polo' neck down. When Ron and I see it we gasp and look at each other. Its not a tattoo but a large old scar that goes half way around her neck and it is unmistakable as a werewolf bite.