A New Beginning

It all started when I changed school ; it was a whirlwind of new faces, places, and experiences. It was a bright Monday morning when I stepped into my new school, Oak Valley School. The building seemed enormous compared to my old school, with its red-brick walls and ivy creeping up the sides. As I walked through the gates, I was greeted by the friendly faces of my classmates, eager to welcome a new student into their midst. 

I was anxious and excited at the same time as I ascended the stairs to my homeroom, which was located on the second floor. The classroom was roomy, with wide windows letting in lots of natural light and rows of desks facing the blackboard. I found a seat near the back and took in my surroundings—the colorful posters on the walls, the neatly arranged bookshelves, and the buzzing energy of my classmates chatting and laughing.

As the day went on, I started to get to know my classmates better. Aarav was the person who sat beside me in homeroom; he had a quick wit and could make the whole class laugh. Subsequently, Nidhi was seated in front of me and consistently offered assistance with the schoolwork and shared her tiffin with me during recess. 

However, it was around lunch time that I got to know Ishika, who would play a significant part in my new school life. 

Me: Hi there! Mind if I join you?

Ishika: Oh, not at all! I'm Ishika, nice to meet you.

Me: Likewise, I'm Shriya. It's my first day here, and everything feels so new.

Ishika: I totally get that! I just started too. 

Me : But it's exciting too. Have you checked out the library here yet?

Ishika: Not yet, but I love books! What do you like to read?

Me: I'm into fantasy novels mostly. How about you?

Ishika: I enjoy mysteries and historical fiction. Maybe we can swap recommendations sometime!

Me: That sounds great! It's nice to meet someone who shares my interests.

Ishika: Totally! We should explore the school together after lunch. There's so much to see.

Me: I'd love that! It's comforting to have a new friend to navigate this place with.

Ishika: Absolutely! Friendship makes everything better, doesn't it?

Me: It sure does. I'm glad I met you, Ishika.

Like me, she was a newbie, a girl with a shiny straight brown hair, with beautiful brown eyes. She had a warm smile and a contagious enthusiasm that made her instantly likable. We bonded over our shared experiences of being newcomers and the excitement of exploring a new setting together. We talked about our old schools, our hobbies, and our favorite books. It was refreshing to have someone who understood what I was going through, and our friendship blossomed quickly.

Over the next few days, Ishika and I introduced ourselves to a group of students, and I felt like we were slowly finding place in this new environment. Our days were filled with laughter, study sessions, and shared secrets exchanged during lunch breaks.

I was just glad to have started an adventure full of excitement and surprises, made incredible friends, and discovered a warm new school.