Chapter 1: A girl called Razé Orphan

٩(*´ο'*)۶“Fwaaa~”

With a big yawn, Razé put on her jacket and slipped out of bed sluggishly. Her dark brown shoulder length hairs were bouncing here and there, something that couldn’t be solved with a simple finger combing.

She rubbed her heavy eyelids, pushed aside her long bangs, tied down her hair and then stretched her body. Although she was not a morning person, she was used to living alone so she always woke up in the morning at around the same time. When she pulled open the curtain, the dazzling sunlight shined into the room.

She had a simple breakfast with bread, fried eggs and soup, and then she washed her face and brushed her teeth. Her reflection in the mirror showed an ordinary girl with no distinctive features. Well, Razé was in fact a very ordinary girl who would turn 16 this year. Her hair and eyes were brown, which was a common color. She couldn’t be called pretty, not by any standard, but she has a nice face that was easy to put on with makeup. Her height was a bit shorter than her peers – not that she cared though.

She changed her clothes, put on a coat and a hat. After making sure her appearance was ok, she picked up a worn-out square-shaped bag.

“Alright. Let’s do our best today too.” With those words, a magic circle appeared underneath her feet.

This was a world where magic exists. People were able to use a special power – which was magic by using a special stone called magic stone. Everyone possessed magic stones and standard of living was improved with its abilities. It could produce fire, wind, water, lightning, earth among others and could also manipulate physical abilities. The power of magic that can be used varies based on the individual strength and weakness.

At this moment, Razé, who always wore pierced earrings embedded with magic stones, used the magic of teleportation, which allows her to transfer to a pre-marked location. One moment she was surrounded by light, the next moment she was already in a different room. The room was unlike her small home that was cramped with bed, kitchen and washroom; it has a large number of books and documents lined up on the wall.

“Good morning, Leader Orphan.” A man in a neat military uniform greeted her with a clear and brisk voice.

Leader? Who was it referring to? You might be wondering about this question. But in this room, there were only Razé and the man. So, it was not hard to figure out who the word refers to.

“Good morning, Captain Bonalt.” Razé replied with a refreshing feeling to her subordinates who treated her with respect even though she was comparably young.

Razé Orphan. 16 years old this year.

She was a military officer, currently attached to the Monster Hunting Department of the Shian Imperial Army and has been serving the country for 10 years. Her place of work – the room which she had teleported to, was a military facility located some distance from the Staff Headquarters.

“Leader, this is a notice letter sent by the Staff Headquarter this morning.”

“Thank you.” Razé put away her bag and coat over the desk, and took the document from Captain Bonalt. “Aargh…” After opening the seal and checking the contents, she frowned. Seeing something unlikable early in the morning was causing her mood to drop drastically.

“Leader, your face… Judging from it, I take it you’ve been summoned?” Captain Bonalt gently pointed out her face expression that was unbecoming of a lady. As Razé’s adjutant, he has seen this expression so many times and was not put off by it. Rather, it helped him to guess the situation accurately.

“Yeah. What’s worse– ahem, a pleasure that it is from the Prime Minister… I need to go to the headquarter in the evening. Aargh…” said Razé while burying her head in her hand.