Chapter 38: Razé Granoli's Birthday Party

Folia: “Razé-chan! I’m ready!”

Razé: “Okay. Let’s go.”

It was Sunday.

This morning, Razé was studying the books that was useful for her military work which she had borrowed from the library. Then, she had made plan to have lunch at the shopping district with Folia. Although she sometimes would wear the dresses given by her subordinates, she was more comfortable wearing shirts with pants, the same as what she was wearing today.

Alright. Exactly as planned! Folia looked at her and recalled the plan that she had made with Carna. After having lunch, she would bring Razé shopping and get her to change her clothes. Once it got dark, she would bring her to the communal room in the dormitory where they were planning to hold her birthday party.

“Razé-chan, what do you want to eat?” Folia asked Razé as they walked in the shopping district.

Razé: “Hmm. Let’s eat what you want to eat.”

Folia originally wanted Razé to choose because it was her birthday. But since Razé had said so, she decided to go the bakery so that it wouldn’t overlap with their party’s menu.

“Wow. Everything looks delicious.” Razé looked at row of breads with starry eyes. She really liked to eat and was not a picky eater.

Razé: “Why don’t we eat outside since the weather is so nice today?”

Folia: “Alright!”

Both of them bought some breads and drinks, and then they went to the public square. There was a fountain in the middle of the square, the water reflected the sunlight and sparkling brightly. They sat on the bench and ate their lunch. Afterwards, they went shopping around.

Razé: “Look at this! Don’t you think this suits Carna-sama?”

Folia: “You’re right. This ribbon looks very pretty.”

Folia suddenly recalled something. Oops! I forgot! I’m supposed to buy a birthday present for Razé-chan.

Razé had been talking about other people instead of buying things for herself. Folia was getting anxious because she couldn’t find out about things that Razé liked. She decided to ask Razé directly. “Ra- Razé-chan. Is there anything that you want now?”

“Things that I want?” Razé folded her arms and gave it a thought. She smiled and said, “There’s nothing that I can think of right now.”

Folia felt hopeless when she heard Razé’s answer. Oh, no~. Never mind. Then, I’ll just choose something that suits her.

Folia looked around to check out if there was anything that she could buy. Then she noticed that other than food, she didn’t know about Razé’s preference. She was surprised when she realized that she actually didn’t know much about Razé even though they had been friends for more than a year.

When she raised her head, she saw that Razé was staring at something. It was a blue flower. “I’ll go and buy some. I’ll be back soon.”

A few minutes later, Razé came back with a bouquet in her hands.

Folia: “It’s rare to see you buying flowers.”

Razé: “Un. This flower only bloom for a short time. My late mother and brother used to like this flower.”

“What?!” Folia was shocked.

Razé: “I had a brother. He was one year younger than me. We used to grow this flower at home back then. He always smiled cheerfully when he looked at the flowers.”